Mic Array: USB Audio Device - No Devices connected

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
sisabelle

Mic Array: USB Audio Device - No Devices connected

Post by sisabelle »

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting the XCORE Array Microphone XK-USB-MIC-UF216 to function. My goal is to use it as a 7 element usb mic array.

I bought the XCore Array Microphone from digikey and followed the instructions here : https://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=20258. I built app_usb_aud_mic_array application for the 2i8o2 target. I made no modifications to the makefile. There were some build warnings out of the box (see attached build log). I have installed the Thesycon evaluation driver.

However, when I attach the mic array via USB to my Windows 10 PC, the mic array is not detected. The TUSBAudio Control Panel reports USB Audio Device No devices connected and nothing shows up in the device manager. The LEDs do toggle when I press the A button so I am fairly certain that I flashed the array correctly.

I have also tested on an embedded Linux platform with USB Audio Class 2 support with the same negative result.

Also, I have another XMOS array microphone that is fresh out of the box and hasn't been reflashed. That device does not show up in TUSBAudio Control Panel or device manager either. It behaves differently from the flashed version the LEDs are always on and pressing the A button has no visible effect.

Any hints on how to proceed or troubleshoot my setup.

Steve
Attachments
build.log
(208.86 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
build.log
(208.86 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. Not an audio developer but..

1) was the USB cable supplied with your kit or sourced elsewhere?

2) respectively, consider to test with a different USB cable or a mix of cables. It is possible that the USB cable is only supplying the power pins and there is no data pin flow through (D+, D-).

On Windows, what does the Device Manager show? Take and share a screen capture of the Device Manager tree with this widget docked. There are many freeware USB analyzer tools that can offer some details on what traffic was sent to / from your widget over the USB interface. Consider to use such a tool. A hardware USB bus analyzer will be even better. Do test with the one board that is under test and of course the virgin factory board.

For now, DO NOT alter the firmware of the virgin factory board till you see some positive response on the Windows or Linux platform.

It should also be possible for you to reflash the one board you are reviewing with other USB IP including a USB CDC, USB HID, etc. examples. Then test again. It is important to get at least one of these IPs to be detected as a USB device to move forward. Am concerned about a recently raised issue of in rush current on the USB VBus rail - see the required and recommended in rush current protection circuit posted inside the XMOS datasheets. We recommend the use of a true USB load switch which also offers even reverse current protection but in either case, in rush currents can nuke the CPU. For now, do try the simple tests and post your results.
sisabelle

Post by sisabelle »

Thanks for the suggestions.
1) The USB cable was shipped with the kit.
2) In order to eliminate the cable as an issue, I obtained a known good unit from a colleague (older unit stickered with uk_-1607-0040). It shows up in device manager and the thesycon control panel.

Neither of my original devices shows up in this manner.

Another clue: on the known good unit, the LEDs turn on and off with a press of the A button. My flashed version has the same behavior. The LEDs on the virgin unit are always on.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

What are the USB PID of the working and non-working devices please (you can get these from device manager). Thanks.
sisabelle

Post by sisabelle »

For working device:
VID 20B1, PID 0008 (REV 06?2)

For non-working device, nothing shows up in the device manager.
sisabelle

Post by sisabelle »

By the way, is the array microphone intended to work out of the box on (assuming correct drivers are present)? Thanks.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Can you attach the XE file that you flashed onto the board?

What is the board version number?
sisabelle

Post by sisabelle »

Hi Ross, The board is XP-USB-MIC-UF216, UK_1728_0604

Having a hard time uploading the xe. It is over the 1MiB limit. Can I email it to you?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Use a public sharing tool like Google drive which will work for your posting:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer ... ktop&hl=en

see Share a file publicly topic at the above URL.
sisabelle

Post by sisabelle »