JTAG connection to StartKit

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

Anyway, I can confirm that XTAG2 at least works with the USB HID demo in app_l1_hid.h so the problem is in xCORE application build and not in the run_dynamic_xe.

mhelin

Post by mhelin »

The CDT problem with module_xud handled in this thread:

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=10

Problem with XN?
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

Nope. Problem was with the gawk use, the header file was invalid. I implemented file loading (fopen, fread, fclose in binary mode) and got the HID demo working with startKIT. Guess there are other means to link in binary objects if one wants to build an executable to be run at Windows startup for an example.

Now, what is the problem with the USB Audio app, got to try it next, though it would also be nice to be able to debug tile[0] & tile[1] at the same time. Too bad there is no way to use the tile[0] if there are no computers near you. Well, could we use Raspberry Pi to load the tile[0]?
Guppy
New User

Post by Guppy »

It would seem that the OP to this thread has been ignored? :(

I would love to know why XMOS development software ignores available and developing hardware which features an integrated XMOS chip and interface.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Guppy wrote:It would seem that the OP to this thread has been ignored? :(

I would love to know why XMOS development software ignores available and developing hardware which features an integrated XMOS chip and interface.
Could you clarify which available and developing hardware you are discussing and also give some estimate of the number of users of this platform?
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

I guess (by following the links) that he means some Amiga stuff containing XMOS chips:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
LyleHaze
Experienced Member

Post by LyleHaze »

Could you clarify which available and developing hardware you are discussing and also give some estimate of the number of users of this platform?
http://www.a-eon.com/?page=x1000 is a link to a page describing the first in the series.
This "Flagship" model has been available for over a year now, and is based on a PA6T processor
(dual core PowerPC) and has a XS1-L02 XMOS chip built right in on the motherboard.

The XMOS chip is connected directly to the processors "fast localbus", which offers more bandwidth
and lower latency than you are likely to get over a USB port. All available I/O are provided on a board
slot named "Xorro", which also includes the JTAG loop so that additional XMOS processors can be
added if needed. These Xorro cards are delivered as open breadboards, but the dealer is willing to pre-build any existing projects if they have been documented, so that soldering skills are not needed for a user to get involved.
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ts_id=1135

That JTAG loop is right off of a Xilinx PLD, so it is built in and available to the OS at all times.
With help from Segher, we have implemented command line tools for programming, readback,
and some basic troubleshooting JTAG stuff.

I mentioned earlier that the X1000 is the flagship of this computer line. The next model will be based on 5020 chip (also dual core) Freescale QorIQ processor, and the same XMOS chip and Xorro slot will be in that one as well. I believe a quad-core model is planned after that.

While distribution quantities are not available, this press release announced a $1.2 Mil commitment
with Ultra/Varisys for computers in this line http://www.a-eon.com/18-10-2013-3.pdf

We have a computer line that is quite literally built around and promoting XMOS products, but we are not even able to run your toolsuite. At this point that's the biggest obstacle in our path.

I'll ask the CEO of A-Eon if he can stop in here and add anything more to these details.
LyleHaze
Experienced Member

Post by LyleHaze »

Guppy wrote:It would seem that the OP to this thread has been ignored? :(

Thanks for your vote of support! I think these forums are proof that XMOS is very active in supporting their customers. I just hope to make it apparent that a new and growing segment of customers have been shut out.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Good to see A-EON is moving along. I suspect the apparent lack of interest from XMOS is due to the same reasons Bianco stated in this post, i.e. too low volume generate revenue.

Did you get a full toolchain working?

I'm going to try linking some startkits (when I receive them) and I think the Xorro project board looks like a pretty good interface if that works out. I'd love to see the Swallow research board being commercially available as well, but I doubt that will ever happen. :o(

P.S. I don't know if you are in contact with the dealer but you might want to alert them to the fact that on the site they suggest it's a G series chip (the picture on the X1000 page), while it is actually an L.
LyleHaze
Experienced Member

Post by LyleHaze »

pstnotpd wrote: Did you get a full toolchain working?
At this time we have the JTAG utilities that Segher provided. None of the XMOS provided dev tools can run on a PPC processor.. One of our devs looked into llvm, but the source to the XC specific front end is not available either.
pstnotpd wrote: I'm going to try linking some startkits (when I receive them) and I think the Xorro project board looks like a pretty good interface if that works out. I'd love to see the Swallow research board being commercially available as well, but I doubt that will ever happen. :o(
That swallow board looks like a real powerhouse. I wonder what might become of it?

The Xorro board is quite literally a blank slate. I am leaning towards optical isolation for any connections that will be taken off board, but it's not just up to me, anyone with a soldering iron and a bit of imagination can take it wherever they choose to go. My first project is a serial to SD card Data logger, mostly because it would be useful for debugging work. I have been looking over some of the audio effects as well.

Down the road, I'd love to develop the software needed to task individual threads independently of each other.. Right now it is all handled at the compiler, and the result is a single .xe file. Having support for resource and link management at the OS level should allow individual threads to be loaded, started or stopped independently of other threads..
Well, in theory anyway, but I have much to learn before I try writing that bit of code. :)