Newbie - XMOS sliceKIT - needs a few pointers

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
timmoore46

Newbie - XMOS sliceKIT - needs a few pointers

Post by timmoore46 »

I'm in the UK so where do I go to buy one ? I've tried Farnell but nothing I've searched for has come up with a it.

I use Linux and am happy to download and install any distro that works preferably out of the box but which one should I go for ? ( I currently use Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10)

Is there anything else I need (Apart from a Raspberry Pi or Arduino which I already have) ?

Any thoughts would be very very welcome !

Tim

TSC
Experienced Member

Post by TSC »

Here is a link to the SliceKit dev kit on Farnell. Before you order, check DigiKey too. It might actually work out cheaper including shipping from the US.

I use xTimeComposer on Windows, so I'm not familiar with using it on Ubuntu. It sounds like it generally works, but a few people have needed patches or other small fixes. See here.
timmoore46

Post by timmoore46 »

TSC wrote:Here is a link to the SliceKit dev kit on Farnell. Before you order, check DigiKey too. It might actually work out cheaper including shipping from the US.

I use xTimeComposer on Windows, so I'm not familiar with using it on Ubuntu. It sounds like it generally works, but a few people have needed patches or other small fixes. See here.
Many thanks for the info. Looks very expensive version from Farnell ! I'll check out Digikey tomorrow.

: )))

Tim
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

You might want to begin with a StartKIT to dip your toes. It's very cheap and gives you a good feel of what XMOS is about.

It also interfaces with your PI through the GPIO header but I've only seen 1 project for that so far.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

The startKIT also has a socket for a sliceKIT card.
timmoore46

Post by timmoore46 »

pstnotpd wrote:You might want to begin with a StartKIT to dip your toes. It's very cheap and gives you a good feel of what XMOS is about.

It also interfaces with your PI through the GPIO header but I've only seen 1 project for that so far.
For everyone who has responded !

Yes ! the item that meets my needs (I think is a XK-STK-A8DEV Startkit. at £9.91 plus shipping and vat. from Digikey Uk ).

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search ... -STK-A8DEV

From Farnell its £9.69:- http://uk.farnell.com/xmos/xk-stk-a8dev ... -STK-A8DEV

I'll download the manual for it and as I've got but rarely used Windows 7, I'll see if I can get the IDE running on that easily. As spending a lot of time getting the Linux version running, might be better spent getting to understand what xcore is about and putting it to use.

Any tips on the best approach to getting the first led to flash or A/D to read a value (or any easy to do use) very welcome.

Many thanks again

: ))))

Tim
teachop

Post by teachop »

timmoore46 wrote:As spending a lot of time getting the Linux version running...
I have not tried Windows for xTIMEcomposer, but it works fine on Linux and Mac.

To get it running on Linux-Antergos weekly build was OK. I did need the tip at the very bottom of this from Sethu:
http://www.xcore.com/questions/2104/xti ... ubuntu1304

This for USB permissions in /etc/udev/rules.d :
# permission for usb startKIT (/etc/udev/rules.d/95-xmos.rules)
# to join uucp: "$ sudo usermod -a -G uucp username" and reboot
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f7d3", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"

Maybe there is a better way but that worked.
timmoore46

Post by timmoore46 »

teachop wrote:
timmoore46 wrote:As spending a lot of time getting the Linux version running...
I have not tried Windows for xTIMEcomposer, but it works fine on Linux and Mac.

To get it running on Linux-Antergos weekly build was OK. I did need the tip at the very bottom of this from Sethu:
http://www.xcore.com/questions/2104/xti ... ubuntu1304

This for USB permissions in /etc/udev/rules.d :
# permission for usb startKIT (/etc/udev/rules.d/95-xmos.rules)
# to join uucp: "$ sudo usermod -a -G uucp username" and reboot
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f7d3", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"

Maybe there is a better way but that worked.

Many many thanks ! I'll try that....

Brill !

Tim
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

If you enable the USB drivers and when nessecary add the glib and pango libraries it should work fine on linux.

As all xtimecomposer releases still seem to have that glib & pango dependancy I've created a seperate releases directory and startup script which specifically adds the exports before starting.
timmoore46

Post by timmoore46 »

pstnotpd wrote:If you enable the USB drivers and when nessecary add the glib and pango libraries it should work fine on linux.

As all xtimecomposer releases still seem to have that glib & pango dependancy I've created a seperate releases directory and startup script which specifically adds the exports before starting.
Many thanks ! When my broadband improves (Its intermittent at the moment) I'll download again and see what I can achieve. (Yesterday no downloads worked)

Greatly appreciated.

Tim