Startkit XN for connection through Xtag2 and TP1?

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Startkit XN for connection through Xtag2 and TP1?

Post by pstnotpd »

I've connected the startkit to an XTAG2 through the TP1. Like "fosfor" I see xrun -l reporting 2 tiles and I can query the registers. I've tried to create a 2 tile XN file but indeed this will not load programs correctly.

Is it at all possible to create an XN that allows programs to be loaded and debugged on the startkit using an XTAG2? It woold be nice to have the hidden tile 0 available, but due to the OTP boot I guess that's propably not feasible. I would like to have Jtag access the same tile that is available on the native debugger though.

dstomper
New User

Post by dstomper »

I am also very interested in your request.
My XTag2 to TP1 Startkit seems to work fine but i always receive a

"xrun: First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity"
- Message.

I tried various .xn files variations so far..
Anyway, I would love to run the app_hid_mouse_demo on the StartKIT using the XTAG2 .

help for lost engineers!
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

You migh want to let XMOS know that their boot loader code in StartKIT OTPROM prevents more advanced use of StartKIT than would be beneficial. I mean they could in ROM boot code check some conditions for JTAG, links or even flash rom and not just unconditionally jump to USB boot mode.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

mhelin wrote:You migh want to let XMOS know that their boot loader code in StartKIT OTPROM prevents more advanced use of StartKIT than would be beneficial. I mean they could in ROM boot code check some conditions for JTAG, links or even flash rom and not just unconditionally jump to USB boot mode.
I hope they're watching. Then again, I can imagine this is done on purpose to prevent just such use. If it's allowed to boot from TP1 this would make a very cheap and actually more powerful alternative for XK-1A or expansion of the slicekit.
dstomper
New User

Post by dstomper »

mhelin wrote:they could in ROM boot code check some conditions for JTAG, links or even flash rom and not just unconditionally jump to USB boot mode.
So do you think, there is no way to use a StartKIT with XTag? I thought it would just be a matter of adjusting a .xn-file ?
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

dstomper wrote:So do you think, there is no way to use a StartKIT with XTag? I thought it would just be a matter of adjusting a .xn-file ?
The reason why I'm pursuing this is that I noticed something interesting when I mistakenly connected 2 startkits "straight through" on the TP1 headers. I wanted to see if the 2nd startkit would be visible on the debugger of the 1st. So only the 1st was connected to USB and the second got its power through the TP1 connection.

It isn't visible, but when I then "xrun"d the rotating bar example both startkits sprang into life. I.e. the xe seems to get communicated over TP1 to the 2nd startkit just fine.

That looks to me that it should be possible to at least run with the visible tile through XTag2, perhaps even with the regular startkit xn. Only problem I can see is that it probably starts complaining that the number of tiles is not correct, as it sees 2 of them through the XTag2.

Is there perhaps a way to circumvent this tile check?

EDIT: Correction. I'm trying to replicate this and I can't get it to work. I'm afraid I've probably mistaken a flashed rotating bar starting up as an xrun load :o(