Problem with AVB Talker after VLAN change Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Problem with AVB Talker after VLAN change

Post by sethu_jangala »

I'm testing beta firmware on an AVB Bridge (e.g. ethernet switch) and discovered that the default VLAN for AVB traffic on this switch is VLAN 1.  It does not appear possible to change this although I have made an inquiry to the switch vendor.

My AVB endpoints consists of XMOS-based boards (LC AVB boards and DSP4You's AVB-DG boards) and a Mac Mini.  By default, the XMOS AVB Reference Design specifies AVB_DEFAULT_VLAN as VLAN 2 in 'avb_1722_def.h'.  The switch reports VLAN errors with any source / sink streams from the XMOS boards and the streams fail.

After changing AVB_DEFAULT_VLAN to VLAN 1 and flashing the XMOS-based boards, I see successful talker / listener declarations within the switch stats on VLAN 1.   At this point, I can stream from the Mac Mini (talker) to any of the XMOS boards (listeners) however I cannot seem to stream from any of the XMOS boards (talkers) to each other other or to the Mac Mini (listeners).  The switch reports the correct talker/listener relationships however no audio comes across.

Looking at a wireshark trace, I see a lot of MVRP / MSRP traffic and AVB Discovery / AVB Connection Management protocols but I never see AVB Transport Protocols which would appear if the stream was active.

Any suggestions on other changes that I'd need to make to the AVB Reference Design code to make a successful talker connection over VLAN 1?

Thanks.

View Solution
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

As long as VLAN for both the talker and listern are in the same VLAN network, you will be able to listen to the audio. VLAN can be any value which is in the range (1 - 4096). By default the VLAN is set to 2. In the 5.2 version of the XMOS AVB solution, you need to change the VLAN in the following places:

1. Chaneg the define AVB_DEFAULT_VLAN in the avb_1722_def.h file.

2. Change st.vlan in the avb_1722_talker.xc file.