CAN FD on XMOS Silicon

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Schorsch

CAN FD on XMOS Silicon

Post by Schorsch »

Hi All,

a Blog Post on 11 June 2013 wrotes something about CAN FD. Is XMOS working on to
implement the CAN FD protokoll on XMOS devices our otherwise on FlexRay?

Does anyone know nearer information?

Thanks in advance and best greatings

Schorsch

andrew
Experienced Member

Post by andrew »

Sorry, we did a feasibility study and found that CAN FD although possible to do transfers would not be able to meet the FD specification due to corner cases so are not currently pursuing it.
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

Dear andrew,

first, thanks for your answer. I think, if XMOS would offer the CAN FD and the FlexRay IP the
outsell of XMOS Silicon would strong increasing, especially for the automotive sector. It is
one of the biggest market in the world.

I found it real pity, that XMOS is not working on it.

Best greating

Schorsch
cschopges
Member++

Post by cschopges »

Hi all,

Is it possible to get some more information about the feasibility study you made?
With which family of controllern did you made the tests and which corner cases were critical?

Thanks

Charlotte
andrew
Experienced Member

Post by andrew »

After a cursory study and instruction timing calculations it was decided that CAN FD is infeasible on an xcore. No corner cases were ever investigated nor was any code written.

The corner cases are dealing with the worse case clock drift after long runs of zeros and ones (the 11th bit as 5 zeros + 5 ones + one zero). In that case we won't meet timing.
cschopges
Member++

Post by cschopges »

Hello Andrew,

Could you give me some more details about your computation (Why aren't you meeting timing?)? I'm not sure I'm able to follow you.

Thanks,

Charlotte
andrew
Experienced Member

Post by andrew »

In order to ascertain if we should implement CAN FD I did some rough calculations. The xcore can execute instruction at 62.5MIPS, CAN can run at 1Mbaud. The hardest case to meet is where our CAN device is sending a message at the same time as another then loses arbitration and has to become a receiver. If this happens at the same time as the worse case clock drift situation then we will have too few instruction to deal with all the required processing to meet the specification, i.e. switch internal state, setup of ports, port counters, error counters, etc. We can just manage CAN 2.0b but the extra requirements of FD mean it would be economically infeasible to pursue this further.
cschopges
Member++

Post by cschopges »

Juste a few questions:
Why do you assume that the core runs the instructions at 62.5 MIPS? Would the result still be infeasible if we assume that the core runs instructions at 100 MIPS (the best case)?
How many instructions do you need to deal with all the requiered processing in that particular case?
andrew
Experienced Member

Post by andrew »

I didn't work out the exact number as that would require an almost full implementation. I figured out that the timing would be so tight (even at 125MIPS) that the engineering cost+risk would be too high.