How to add USB Serial port to XMOS Reference Audio project ?

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
MisterQ
Member++

Post by MisterQ »

mariojim22,

I have tried your project. It compiles OK and under Windows 10 audio hardware works,
but in Device Manager there is no any Virtual Serial Port.

Have you tried it in Windows?

Best regards,
Dragan

mariojim22

Post by mariojim22 »

Sorry, I only try it on linux.
And it detects both without problems.
I will try it on windows 7.
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member

Post by shaileshwankhede »

Hi Mario,

Thank you so much. Your project worked. I verified it under Linux and its working fine.
However there seems to be problem running serial device in windows. I get device status as: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
A device which does not exist was specified.

Thanks,
Shailesh
mariojim22

Post by mariojim22 »

Hi,

Finally it works on Windows (7 and 10). There is a problem on windows that it try to install a driver for each interface on USB descriptor that is not associated. So the solutions is attach an IAD that associateCDC's DATA and CONTROL interfaces.
Windows 10 detects it without problems, but Windows 7 need an .inf file, that associate the interface to right cdc windows driver.

This is the important part of .inf
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20B1&PID_0008&MI_04

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20B1&PID_0008&MI_04
Attachments
descriptors.h
(124.43 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
descriptors.h
(124.43 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
Driver_CDC_AUDIO.inf.zip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Driver_CDC_AUDIO.inf.zip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member

Post by shaileshwankhede »

Wow! Its working in windows 10 too.
Thank you so much!

Regards,
Shailesh
MisterQ
Member++

Post by MisterQ »

Respected Mario,

I have tried yours project with new descriptors.h file under Windows 10 Pro and with the Thesycon XMOS driver Audio and the USB Serial port work.

If I try XMOS AN00124 USB CDC Class as Virtual Serial Port project on the same XMOS board and the same PC, serial port runs correctly without Thesycon XMOS driver.

Can your USB Virtual Serial Port (CDC) work without Thesycon XMOS driver as XMOS example software does?

Can you find out why Windows 10 see USB serial port without any driver with XMOS AN00124 USB CDC Class as Virtual Serial Port project using the driver incorporated in Windows, and with your mixed Audio and CDC project does not? Different VID & PID maybe?

Regards,
Dragan
mariojim22

Post by mariojim22 »

Hi Dragan,
In Windows 10, i didn't need to install any driver. I only have to install a ".inf" file on windows 7. And this is not a driver itself, it only says windows that it may use standar USB serial driver.
And maybe if you don't have Thesycon driver, windows stop looking for drivers when it didn't find the audio driver. Because it is the first config descriptor and then it search for CDC driver. But that I can not assure you, I just assume, I'm not a USB expert.
Regards
tbjr6
Member++

Post by tbjr6 »

Just tried this with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 with all the latest updates. Using only Mario's uploads it worked immediately with no issues. Just in case someone finds this in the future, know that it still works flawlessly. You do need files from both posts though.
tom3
Member++

Post by tom3 »

Hello
I just tried the project on windows 10( with the the new descriptors) but somehow in Device Manager the virtual port doesn´t appear.

Has anyone faced the same issues since then ?

Regards