help debugging runtime exception

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
robertxmos
XCore Addict

Post by robertxmos »

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what support you are hoping for.
If the bug has been fixed in later releases,then the support has already been published!
Unfortunately bugs tend to be too complex to track them all in detail.
It would also absorb too much engineering time if all our users wanted us to offer workaround support for their particular project and tools version.

The issue you have may be due to the order in which events are folded together.
I would suggest you move the statements in the par around - particularly the distributed.
I would also suggest looking at your select statements and moving the order of those around - particularly timer events.
(The lowering of pars and 'combining' of selects and interfaces is quite complex and bug have been fixed in that areas)

robert

Gothmag
XCore Addict

Post by Gothmag »

As a work around you could add a select that triggers on a timer after 1 second has passed and then sets a flag to true, then add guards on all of the cases there. If that still causes exception implement the flag yourself returning default values if not set.
woodsb
Experienced Member

Post by woodsb »

Hi Robert And Gothmag,

Robert - Sorry - wasn't looking for special consideration, just clarity on what your advice was. My bad.

I have been able to re-write the app and have avoided the issue. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but am still using the older tools and believe I have the pars similarly arrayed. Will try to take some time and do some off-main-development testing of the latest tools and see if I can't move to them.

And, thanks to Gothmag for the advice. Didn't have to go that way, but always appreciate the assistance from another user.

cheers,
Bill
robertxmos
XCore Addict

Post by robertxmos »

Hi Bill,
I'm sorry that there are issues with the XC language version 2 compiler, particularly in early releases.
For users it is frustrating that minor changes in high level source can have such a dramatic affect as the code goes through many layers of transformation.
The reasons can be hard to identify by just looking at the high level code - hence my difficulty in this case.
I am always pleased to receive reproducible bug reports - and will try to offer a workaround along with fixes moving forward.
I would always recommend using the latest release - with workarounds for pending bug fixes.
Robert
p.s. there is a chance of regression when a new minor release is made (14.4.0) but after a patch or two (14.4.1, 14.4.2) the branch will be more stable than previous branches (e.g. 14.3.x or 14.2.x) - and yes a 14.4.0 is imminent.