Detecting a bitmask on an input port

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
SpacedCowboy
Experienced Member

Detecting a bitmask on an input port

Post by SpacedCowboy »

I'm looking at interfacing an XE216-512-TQ128 to an external cpu, with the xmos chip being mapped into a memory range ($D100 to $D7FF on the address bus). The bus in question is relatively slow (~2MHz) so I could simply sit in a loop sampling and triggering if necessary. Ideally though, I'd like to have the code only trigger when an address is actually relevant.

The manual presents options for 'value = x' and 'value != x' on the port, but I was wondering if there was any way to mask off bits ? It did occur to me I could use some external hardware to AND the required lines together and wire up a 1-bit port to that, then trigger on the 1-bit port and read the 16-bit port when the 1-bit port is triggered. Again, ideally, I'd prefer to keep the external hardware to a minimum so if there's a clever way to do it in software, I'm all ears :)

Cheers
Simon

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hello Simon. The first example under Inputting Data is relevant

https://www.xmos.com/published/xc-input-and-output

In a loop, read your multi-bit port to look for your address match along with any other qualifying strobe, decode signal, etc. before performing your required task.
SpacedCowboy
Experienced Member

Post by SpacedCowboy »

Ok but this is polling, right ? As above "I could simply sit in a loop sampling and triggering if necessary", but I was wondering if I could make it event-driven rather than just constantly sampling in s/w and testing it in a loop.

If that's the way it has to be, then that's fine - don't get me wrong. I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing a trick somewhere.

Cheers - and thanks for the reply :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy
Experienced Member

Post by SpacedCowboy »

I think I actually see what you were trying to say now - the 'Waiting for a Condition on an Input Pin' example shows that you can wait for "!= x", where x can change from sample to sample. That means the code will wait for a transition, not just run the loop continuously.

So I can effectively reduce the work being done because I'll only get a transition every time the (much slower) bus changes. I can use this :)

Cheers - I sometimes take a while to understand, but the lightbulb switches on eventually :)

Simon