Power consumption of XE216-512-TQ128 Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
xlordofpainx
Experienced Member

Power consumption of XE216-512-TQ128

Post by xlordofpainx »

Hey guys- quick easy question here. I am not sure about the current consumption of the chip.

I would guess it is Active VDD current. but there is also extra data thrown in there which I am not sure about. I have a power supply of 2A powering my new board (housing the XE216-512-TQ128 chip) so i want to be sure that I have enough power for other functions on the board as well.

Thanks

View Solution
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Power is highly dependent on what code you run. If you have all threads burning away you may be able to get close to the max figures but most xmos software uses events, which take the thread out of the run set (awaiting an event) and saves power due to no instructions/fetches and clock gating. A typical USB audio system will be around the 450mW typically less from the 1v0 rail. You can set the CHAN_BUFF_CTRL to save about 10%. The VDDIO numbers in the datasheet look like a safe upper limit for USB audio too.
xlordofpainx
Experienced Member

Post by xlordofpainx »

Many thanks brother. I have taken into account the highest numbers for VDDIO for my new power supply, I just wanted a second opinion.