XMOS Network Activists

russf
XCore Addict

XMOS Network Activists

Post by russf »

Sharing knowledge and resources to enable rapid and effective development of powerful network-oriented products using XMOS devices.
Read

russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Please join us if you are interested in using or developing networked products using XMOS.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Please add links to Ethernet capable boards, below.

The obvious ones are:

XS1-G Development Kit, by XMOS. 10/100 RJ45

XC-2 Ethernet Kit, by XMOS. 10/100 RJ45

XC-3 LED Tile Control Kit, by XMOS. 2 @ 10/100 RJ45

https://www.xmos.com/products/developme ... nce-design...

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've been asked by a client to investigate the use of an XMOS device in a three-way Ethernet hub. He's just purchased 70 from the USA at £130 each, I feel that a single four-core device could perform the same function at a fraction of the cost.

Leon
ongaku
New User

Post by ongaku »

Is it possible to run a complete TCP-Stack on a single core cpu ?
RogerH

Post by RogerH »

How about somebody that owns a XC-2 put in on the Internet.

I would be great to twiddle it's leds from afar and perhaps even check out it's performance at serving web pages.

I have a few ARM boards running uIP on FreeRTOS that I will expose to the Internet for comparison.

Cheers, Roger...
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

There is still a shortage of good examples of xtcp usage, especially from the client point of view.

Berni created his winsock layer, but that is woven into an older version of the networking package, so that it would take some time to port to TCP/IP 1.3.

I am looking for some minimal examples of the use of xtcp for reliably sending data to a server. As an example, I find this piece of code which does not work without some effort.

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=652

This brings me to test code...

If XMOS has test code for network modules, can we see it? Can we have both demo AND test code bundled into packages in the future? (Demo code is missing from module_xtcp.1v3)

This area is a prime example where XMOS should make their source open for read AND write. This does not mean that xmos would lose control of its repository, but it would encourage small fixes and extensions that would increase the value of the networking code without costing XMOS a lot of development time. The normal way to do this would be via GITHUB, where others could fork, extend, and send PULL requests inviting a repo manager to test and integrate extensions.

The network stack is potentially a big selling feature of this range of devices, but at the moment it's hard to realize the full value.