UAV

wardy

UAV

Post by wardy »

UAV's are inherently expensive, require the skills of seasoned pilot and are often only used within military circles.
It is my aim to develop cost effective, UAV's which are applicable to many more walks of life at a very affordable cost.
Read

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

If I ever have enough free time to start developing something, I am almost certain it would be a UAV as my first project as I get excited just thinking about the things that could be done!

I will be interested to see where this group goes and if some basic kit could be defined eg for a quadcopter - some standard chassis (maybe custom designed - I know RP181- http://www.xcore.com/projects/helicopter-autopilot made his own and can reproduce them for others) - something with space to place your own boards/components, suggested motors, power source etc - basically all the essentials - would save a lot of time - but is a known tried and tested set of equipment that can get airborne!

The user can then concentrate on the logic, and other custom add-ons/sensors eg GPS or such. Would save me reinventing the wheel. It would be really good if the chassis supported easy mounting of components eg sensors / boards etc.

Just throwing ideas out, if this is unreasonable do say!
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Thought this was pretty cool! Some inspiration. I believe some of them use GPS etc and are fully automated.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Hey guys, just thought I would share a great piece of tech I found out about recently which uses "optical flow" to provide advanced vision capabilities to UAVs. Check out the "what is optical flow" section to learn more after seeing the videos below!

http://www.centeye.com/pages/techres/fl ... llery.html

"Centeye is a microelectronics firm in Washington DC that specializes in vision chip or visual microsensor technology for a variety of machine vision applications. Our technology allows the implementation of complete machine vision systems sufficiently light for usage on small robotic platforms, including flying robots the size of your hand. Using custom-designed "vision chips" as an imager front end, these sensors weigh between 0.2 grams and 15 grams apiece (including optics, imager, and processor) and yet can process imagery at several hundred or more frames per second.

We are currently developing these sensors primarily for robotic applications, particularly mini/micro-class UAVs (uninhabited air vehicles), ground robots, toys, security, and other applications"