Acoustic Ranging/Mapping Interest Group

bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Acoustic Ranging/Mapping Interest Group

Post by bsmithyman »

This group is aimed at discussing embedded acoustic ranging and mapping technology, using XMOS hardware for DSP and/or system control.
This includes (non-exhaustive list):

Ultrasound systems
Acoustic rangefinders
Seismic acquisition and processing
High data-rate closed-loop acoustic control systems

Read

bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

This group was more or less formed out of the forum discussion here. We have a number of different interests and experience levels, and it sounds like there is at least some potential for collaborative projects. I thought I'd go over my interests and background, and maybe others could do the same.
I'm coming from a geophysics background, doing my PhD thesis on full-waveform inversion of seismic data. We typically work in the single and double-digit Hz range (e.g. the data I'm currently working with are 8-64 Hz). I'm interested in signal processing on the XMOS chips, and I've been playing with ultrasound transducers for in-air rangefinding. I think there are others interested in this as well. I've also toyed with the idea of making an XMOS-based seismograph (which actually means very low data rates, compared to ultrasound); please let me know if you're interested.
Brendan