Commercial products based on XMOS chip?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
JarekC

Commercial products based on XMOS chip?

Post by JarekC »

Hi,

I wonder if there are any known commercial products based on XMOS chips.
XMOS chips are available for some time, so I wonder if they are accepted in the market or no?

Best regards,
JarekC

jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

JarekC wrote:Hi,

I wonder if there are any known commercial products based on XMOS chips.
XMOS chips are available for some time, so I wonder if they are accepted in the market or no?

Best regards,
JarekC
The short answer is that yes, there are. A substantial number. Definitely accepted.

However, one of the most interesting things about the XMOS platform is the ability for others to customise the chip in software with a few bits of hardware around it to perform a specific purpose and then to resell it with their branding on the product or even just on the chip.

Having done this, there's little incentive for a manufacturer to broadcast the fact that their product is basically a software product using the XMOS chip - as this might encourage their direct competition to look at using a similar setup. Using XMOS gives them an edge that they are unlikely to want to shout about in the early days!

I suspect the lack of customer references and press releases to this effect stems from this. It certainly doesn't stem from a lack of good customers.

Yes there are products out there but that doesn't mean they will be easy to find! Perhaps someone should offer some prizes to anyone who uncovers a device in the field... :-) I don't even know where most of them are.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've been told that one company is reselling XMOS chips with a programmed flash chip for a particular application as if it was some sort of ASIC. XMOS is probably supplying them with blank chips so that they can put their own marking on them.
Joerg
Member++

Post by Joerg »

Hi Jarek,

yes, there is an increasing number of commercial products based on XMOS in the market, including some that use custom branded chips.

For those customers who use XMOS branded chips, its always a challenge to have them say so publicly.
However, we do have a first customer case study, please see http://www.xmos.com/system/files/cs-hrt-100525.pdf.

We are also working on more customer announcements in the next few weeks - stay tuned! Additional, detailed customer case studies to follow through the course of the year.

Hope this answers your question about use of XMOS in commercial products.

Joerg