USB Audio 2.0 Stereo Driver for Windows 10 Update

Non-technical related questions should go here.
revenac
Member++

Post by revenac »

solved the matter.

When the driver is loaded into the Windows 7 based PC (in general for any Win 8 or earlier based PC), it is associated to a specific physical USB port AND ONLY THAT USB PORT.
To simplify: the driver it is not installed into the Win 7 PC only but on a specific USB port of the Win 7 PC.
This association is stored in the directory where the driver is loaded (in the Windows register in general).

If the USB board based on the XMOS chip, in a second time, is connected to another USB port of the same Win 7 PC, the board is recognized but it will not start and Windows invites you to contact the manufacturer.
The driver must be launched again so the right association between the physical port used and the driver is created.

I forgot this behavior of Win 7 (generally this is valid for any version of Win 8 or earlier) for drivers not "windows approved" or, better, not recognized by Windows with a digital signature.
Mainly because the "Windows Update search on-line for a driver" does not produce any result.

To make the story short:
1) the board based on the XMOS chip must be connected always to the USB used at the time of the driver installation and ONLY TO THAT ONE.
2) cannot be 2 USB physical ports can guest the same board based on an XMOS chip.

With Windows 10 everything the story is a little different mainly because Windows 10 recognize the USB Audio 2.0 devices but I prefer to do not enter in the details.

I solved the matter, but if what I said is wrong please report me.
Important is learn form the mistakes or misunderstanding so to better manage the future adventures.

Best regards.

AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

mon2 wrote:
Again, have to ask why you cannot just remain with the XMOS IDs for both the VID & PID on the USB gadget since in the end, you will use the USB Audio 2.0 driver for all of these Windows installations? It will be without cost and this is what most of the industry is doing -> just use the XMOS driver package.
Maybe, they want to use Native DSD and/or multy-channel, which are not supported by XMOS driver?