Face recognition

Non-technical related questions should go here.
gauri
New User

Face recognition

Post by gauri »

Hi,
I am new to XMOS architecture. I would like to know if it is possible to implement any face recognition algorithm on this platform. How does it supports camera and other image processing functions.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

It certainly is possible but you may have to use external ram for working with a respectable resolution image as the internal ram fills up very fast when you want to store images in it.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

64kB per core is quite a lot really; you do have to be a bit careful, of course, and you certainly
have to _think_ about how you're using it. It's easily enough to store an image for this.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well a 320x240 color image is already 150kB. I know that cause i had problems with a frame buffer for a LCD display. I'm guessing he wants a relatively high res camera to do it accurately
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Berni wrote:Well a 320x240 color image is already 150kB.
If you store it at 16 bits per pixel, sure. I am saying you don't need that :-)

Everything is always a tradeoff...
gauri
New User

Post by gauri »

Yes I will be needing relatively high resolution image quality to get accurate results. I will be needing RAM also for storing face feature extraction templates.
In this forum only, I read there are issues with implementing external RAM. Does anyone has experience with it?
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well external SRAM works pretty nicely but you need a lot of pins to interface it.