XMOS XC-1A - Where to buy?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
LavaChild
New User

XMOS XC-1A - Where to buy?

Post by LavaChild »

Hi,

XMOS looks like a great platform and I'd like to have a play. Specifically I'm interested in the XC-1A Development Kit.

Can anybody advise from where they purchased in the UK? (Other than the listed distributors on xmos.com).

Thanks.

Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Hi LavaChild,

For the UK - Digi-Key is the best distrubtor to get an XC-1A from. Shipping is free as it's over their minimum order threshold.

Kind Regards,
Corin
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

You'll have to pay duty and VAT (about 30%). You should get it in a couple of days.
LavaChild
New User

Post by LavaChild »

Is there no place I can buy from that will avoid the import duty? For example, a UK distributor?
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

No. Any UK distributor would have to pay duty and VAT, anyway, and pass it on to you. They are actually made in China like everything else.
LavaChild
New User

Post by LavaChild »

That's a shame :( With so many options for embedded processors these days, having to do the importing personally can really put the individual off. I'd love to have a play with the XMOS but it's a shame it is not as simple as it could be. I'm not moaning directly, as I can understand the logic but for the hobbyist I think it can be really off-putting, especially with so many alternatives. (Even though, admittedly, the XMOS looks a little bit special compared to everything else, hence my desire to get a development kit and get playing).

For companies I guess it makes no difference (or may even be more convenient) but for myself, I prefer to see a price on a site, order it and a few days later receive the device (no extra payment required) and the whole process is complete.

I guess there is not a second-hand market, either? That could be an alternative to ordering from a non-UK distributor.