LCD, lib_display_controller examples?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
myndideal

LCD, lib_display_controller examples?

Post by myndideal »

Hi,
There is a ref in this lib_display_controller users guide, which one refers to an Application Note
• AN00169 - Using the display controller library

Ok. Where is it? :) I had an old project for previous versions of libraries, which can not be compiled w the latest libs... Therefore I would like to take a look to some examples for usage of the new interface. As far as I understand, I have to fill the display controllers buffer with a movable pointer. But how ? :) Actually I spent a whole day for read documentations. What I found relating to movable ptrs, but:

display_controller_write(app2cmd, move(buffers[p]), 0, line, LCD_ROW_WORDS, woffs);

after this point, move() overwrite my movable pointer to zero, because of the ownership takes by display controller... But afterwards, It would be nice to get back somehow? If I check the lib_sdram interface, there is a blocking function to get the last pointer back. But in lib_display_controller I did not find similar methode any way... How can we use this lib officially?

thx

myndideal

Post by myndideal »

I added a project for this here:
lcd3 example project
and the source is on the github too:
lcd3 github repo

I would appreciate any observations, comments or ideas.
Thanks!
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

myndideal

Post by myndideal »

Hi mon2,
thanks for the quick answer. I guess, we get this memory exception on server side of the interface call. Display_controller emits some of the interface push / pop function. Then, response_buffer still able to handle the request, but fails on tx.ready() call. (or command_buffer on a.ready() does it the same way).
So, the notification could not work some reason...
Probably, my code did not handle all of the notifications right. I tried to write my code based on the library codes. (There are no array or stack overrun possibilities here, as far as I understand.)

Code: Select all

148: tx.ready();
00011176:   ldw (ru6)       r0, sp[0xd]
00011178:   ldw (2rus)      r0, r0[0x5]
0001117a:   ldaw (l2rus)    r2, r0[0x4]
0001117e:   ldw (2rus)      r3, r0[0x4] <-- ET_LOAD_STORE signal received
Theres another tx.ready() on the line 136, which one works as expected. So, the client side of the tx.ready() was called already (at first time) well.

Code: Select all

xrun: Program received signal ET_LOAD_STORE, Memory access exception.
      _i.res_buf_to_app_i._Sresponse_buffer_0.1.pop (p=0x1fc30 "\001", last_notification_input=1) at C:/src/plans/lcd3/lib_display_controller/src/display_controller.xc:148
      148	                tx.ready();
myndideal

Post by myndideal »

Solution: I had used xtime composer v14.0.1 , and it gives me ET_LOAD_STORE signals.
After I was installed the latest v14.0.3, its gone. No problem with the notification... :)
So, thanks. I can go forward right now.
Sorry.
myndideal

Post by myndideal »

Hi Folks,
actually my gui started to working... In order to design (multiple) layouts, I use ultimate++ editor and its .lay file. So it can be edited there wyswyg, and can used by desktop app too... Have a lot of todo. But some widgets/controlls are realized, and can be just added to layouts now. There can be multiple pages (state machines behind the layouts). There is a message dispatcher between keyboard, touchscreen, midi, eth services and the view/controller...

I have several ideas to refactoring on the original lib_sdram and lib_display modules, to be able to move a rectangle on the framebuffer, like a bitblt fn in vesa cards... And from other side, I would like to use SDRAM to hibernate runtime objectes (or a separate member area). I am actually close to full with the 64k ram but lot of thins just declared as member, so allocated by default.
myndideal

Post by myndideal »

In the past month, I have some progression. But I was freezed on some sdram issue... SDRAM slice is connected to star connector. Each cold reset was good, but after a random delay the screen disappeard, and only green stripes could be seen there (even if the rest of the system was fine).
I was able to catch this issue some times, and I measured only 200mV on the CAS.

Iam using lib_slicekit_support modul, which sets the D042 and D043 correctly on each reboot. So I tested the SPI switch and rs flip-flop logic only at reset. It was ok. Therefore I tought there is some strange issue somewhere else in sdram/pinblock/etc... But not. :)
Right now I just test it again, and I could measure the CAS signal on the SPI CS pin... How?
So the 74lv74 gets reseted somehow.

Is it an errata for this behavior ? This is a general Slicekit XP-SKC-L2 1V1 + XA-SK-XTAG2 1V1 + XMOS XTAG2 1V0 ?

There is a high level on U6 pin1. (before this random failure, this is on low level of course).
NReset couldn't be the problem, because the system still running / we dont get a reset, Iam sure.
Is it some known limitation?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hello myndideal. I think that we have seen this issue on our SliceKit XP-SKC-L2 1V1. However, of course confirm the issue is the same. We wasted 3 days in tracking down the issue.

Review the PCB connection to EACH pin on the U18 flip flop. We found that there is a PCB via (from bottom to top) that was over etched and not making a connection to this flip flop. This caused the flip flop to not operate as expected. On Monday we can share the specific pin details from our lab unit.

Please do a continuity test for each pin on this component from source to this device and you may find the same fault.

Summary - our PCB had a blown trace due to poor PCB quality for this same flip flop (U18). This may be the root cause of your problem.

See my post here on this topic:
http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=mon2

Hope this helps.

Kumar
myndideal

Post by myndideal »

Hi mon2,
Oh! Thanks a lot! I can confirm, there is a missing via. :) Gosh. The rst_n signal is not going to pin13, only to pin 1 of the U18... Hm. So, this clear input is hovering in the breeze, yeah deffinitely this is the reason...

(Ok, I have to try this with the 1V2 panel too, it have to be working fine with the new one, I hope. )
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Excellent :) Hope it saved you a bit of time. For our company, we only use PCB vendors that 100% E-test the PCBs to avoid pitfalls like this. Based on the common fault in the kits, sounds like this PCB vendor has process issues.