Use of par{} on a function that is not the main

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
extremeRider
Member++

Use of par{} on a function that is not the main

Post by extremeRider »

Hi,
I developed a very simple program in order to read data from a serial gps.
I've used the module_uart_rx and module_uart_tx available at https://github.com/xcore.

Now I'm trying to wrap all the code that I wrote in library.

Based on the example available at https://github.com/xcore/sc_uart/blob/m ... rc/main.xc
the modules uart_rx/tx create two specific threads: one for reading data and one for writing data.

My idea would be to provide a sort of gps_run() function that, after setting all the parameters, starts the read and write thread automatically.

The problem seems that the par {} construct can be used only in the main function. This would mean that, in my case, I should explicitly declare 3 threads, one for reading from serial, one for writing and one that should consume the data from gps.

Is there a way to create more threads from a generic function that is not the main function?

Thanks

ers35

Post by ers35 »

par works outside of main:

Code: Select all

// xcc -report -target=XS1-L8A-64-TQ48-C5 par-outside-main.xc -o par-outside-main.xe

void
read()
{
  while (1)
  {
    select {}
  }
}

void
write()
{
  while (1)
  {
    select {}
  }
}

void
gps_run()
{
  par
  {
    read();
    write();
  }
}

int
main()
{
  gps_run();
  return 0;
}
extremeRider
Member++

Post by extremeRider »

Hi,
thank for your help.
Following your example I was able to fix the problem.

My error was in another function that confused me, thinking that the problem was on the par construct{}.
The error was: multi-tile main must consist of single non-empty par statement

Thanks again!