Energy Consumption Features of XMOS Boards

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
mozcelikors
Experienced Member

Energy Consumption Features of XMOS Boards

Post by mozcelikors »

Hello everyone,

I have heard that the XMOS features energy consumption reducing features. I am not so sure though, forgive my ignorance. I have some questions in this regard:
- Could anyone link me a reference which tells about these energy consumption reducing features, if there are some.
- Are there any user-related energy features? (For example such as enabling/disabling DFVS in a single board computer, are there such features that help us make use of energy features if our software is well utilized within xCORE)

Note: I am using xCORE-200 eXplorerKIT with XS-1 architecture
Any guidance is appreciated and will be a nice addition to my thesis:)
Have a nice day and kind regard,

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

mozcelikors
Experienced Member

Post by mozcelikors »

Thanks.

To wrap up what I understood from the application manual and henk's suggestions,
1. XS-1 device energy consumption is directly proportional to the clock speed.
2. The dynamic
portion of the switch power depends on the operating frequency, amount of communication activity and
the data itself. In both cases the static portion of the internal power is a function of temperature and
voltage; it is not related to processor or switch activity.
3. XS1 devices include an optional feature which will switch the xCORE frequency to its AEC setting when all
active threads are paused waiting for input (for example, from a port or timer.
4. xCORE200 allows you to manually reduce the clock frequency (including the PLL frequency), lowering the power consumption Is this AEC mode ? How do I set this up ?
5. All XS1 chips have a feature that lowers the clock frequency automatically when the processor goes idle; this takes the power consumption down to and can restart instantaneously.