AVB/TSN Talker-only Configuration

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
ahogen
Member++

AVB/TSN Talker-only Configuration

Postby ahogen » Wed May 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm working with the xCORE-200 MC Audio board and the associated Gigabit AVB with I2S appnote, AN00202. I don't need Listener functionality and would like to strip all of it out of the code. I can easily use

Code: Select all

// avb_config.h
#define AVB_1722_1_LISTENER_ENABLED 0

but when I comment out listener-related code in main(), things break, so this #define obviously does not remove code like I would like. It only disables some functionality so it doesn't work all the way. I've tried hacking the backend libraries, and commenting listener-related things out. Tried setting listener-related parameters (like channel ends or interfaces) to "null" in main(), but a lot of the library functions don't support "null".

Almost everything I tried either did not build, or would cause the code to freeze during runtime, breaking the Talker functionality. I presume this is due to some code putting data into a channel endpoint for the listener but the mini channel FIFO is full, making the channel write operation a blocking operation. I thought I found where this was happening in the media clocking files and tried commenting it out, but I didn't see any improvement.

Right now, I'm back to just setting LISTENER_ENABLED to 0 and leaving it at that. I'm not exactly happy with it, but it works for now.

How can I truly remove the Listener functions from the application? Thanks!
Last edited by ahogen on Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akp

Postby akp » Thu May 18, 2017 2:11 pm

+1

Right now I am leaving listener in the code but would be happy to remove it especially if it freed up some cores.
ahogen
Member++

Postby ahogen » Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm

akp wrote:Right now I am leaving listener in the code but would be happy to remove it especially if it freed up some cores.

Good to know I'm not the only one in this boat.

Anybody done this before with the new lib_tsn and friends?

Return to “Other XMOS Development Kits”