How capable is the XCore-200 Multichannel Audio Board

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
wyan001

How capable is the XCore-200 Multichannel Audio Board

Post by wyan001 »

Hi,

I am thinking to design a multichannel usb audio interface and maybe to go a little beyond. I might choose to buy the XCore-200 multichannel audio board as a starter or design something similar. Before getting started, I would like to know whether the Multichannel Audio Board is capable of the following tasks (with additional programming):

1. Take stereo or multichannel audio signal either from USB or Ethernet.
2. (If it is stereo) Duplicate the stereo audio signal to multichannel (channel mapping).
3. FIR DSP on multichannel
(From 2 & 3, I can either get multichannel or stereo multi-way)
4. Oversampling the audio signal.
5. A very friendly user interface to configure some EQ / DSP. Graphic interface will be the best.
6. Take video stream as well from Eithernet
(1~6 are for audio video bridging + audio signal processing)

I suppose I don't need ADC/DAC and other digital interface from the MC audio board. However I am not sure if I need to add extra memory (standalone or simply use XUF216 instead to take advantage of the flash built in). Or maybe this is just beyond the capacity of XCORE-200.

I would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

1. Take stereo or multichannel audio signal either from USB or Ethernet.
USB no problem. Possible by Ethernet too but you don't say what protocol.. May need implementing.
2. (If it is stereo) Duplicate the stereo audio signal to multichannel (channel mapping).
Trivial
3. FIR DSP on multichannel
(From 2 & 3, I can either get multichannel or stereo multi-way)
No problem - 100s of MIPS available.. A typical 256 tap FIR filter will use around 640 processor cycles and consume less than 5KBytes of memory, most of which is used in the delay line and coefficient storage.
4. Oversampling the audio signal.
lib_src can do this..
5. A very friendly user interface to configure some EQ / DSP. Graphic interface will be the best.
We don't have this. BUT you can use your GUI package of choice an copy the 5 floating point biquad coeffs straight into lib_dsp
6. Take video stream as well from Eithernet
(1~6 are for audio video bridging + audio signal processing)
Transport of video maybe but not processing. You didn't say which protocol?