Machine Vision

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Skeksis

Machine Vision

Post by Skeksis »

Hi guys, long time no see!

I was wondering, does the chip on the XC-1A have a camera DMA interface built in? And if I was to purchase a CMOS camera, say one of these or these, would I require additional memory to buffer the data being sent from the camera?

Thanks in advance

"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The XS1-G4 does not have DMA and essentially does not require DMA.
Memory will be a problem though: 64KB is not enough to buffer a full frame of either camera.
They often can be configured to record on lower resolutions though.
dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

If you are using a G4 you can definitely add an SDRAM interface to it for a frame buffer. See the sc_sdram_burst component on github. The only dev kit we have out today that this works with is the XDK however.

An SDRAM interface should also fit on an L2 and leave enough IO for other things but there isn't a suitable dev kit for this yet.

What is the exact nature and deliverable of the project? We have loaned XDK kits for specific project developments in the past.
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

Thank you both for getting back to me.

I thought that might be the case Bianco.

How feasible would it be to make up an SDRAM interface for the XC-1A?

To answer you Dan, I'm looking into using the board I have in my final year project; at the moment this stands at a robotic arm using servos for control but I'm hoping to add a VGA camera to have the arm recognise objects to some small extent. Unfortunately I doubt I could use the XDK dev kit as portability is a requirement of the project so if possible I need to work out a way to use what I have.

Thanks guys,

Jonathan
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

Hi Johnathan,

Check out the sdram docs here:

http://github.xcore.com/sc_sdram_burst/overview.html

The portmap is listed here:

http://github.xcore.com/sc_sdram_burst/programming.html

It is also probably possible to mux the address and data pins (DQ15:0, ADDR[12:1]) together at the expense of a little performance. I'll leave it to you to determine XC-1A feasibility from there.

Dan