communicating with the XC-1A via USB

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Gravis
Experienced Member

communicating with the XC-1A via USB

Post by Gravis »

it's pretty simple, i'm just trying to make a simple communication link between Windows 7 (don't ask) and a XC-1A board over the USB port. with the jtag drivers, the board shows up as a serial device but when listening to the USB on the board, none of my data from the computer comes through. what am i missing?

DrNO
Member++

Post by DrNO »

I'm confused, are you trying to send data from your Dev Board to the computer via the UART? or are you trying to interface the board via a custom USB driver?
Gravis
Experienced Member

Post by Gravis »

DrNO wrote:I'm confused, are you trying to send data from your Dev Board to the computer via the UART? or are you trying to interface the board via a custom USB driver?
i'm sending data to and from whatever the default ftdi interface the board has that shows up as a COM port on windows. i cant get communications to work either way... at all.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

The FTDI device has two ports (interfaces, in USB-speak). The second
one is the UART; do not let your OS touch the first interface, it's the JTAG,
things blow up if you let it.
Gravis
Experienced Member

Post by Gravis »

segher wrote:The FTDI device has two ports (interfaces, in USB-speak). The second
one is the UART; do not let your OS touch the first interface, it's the JTAG,
things blow up if you let it.
yeah... i wish it were more clear on windows because i really have no idea which COM 5 is.
propertieswindow.png
gotta love windows
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

COM5 will be the virtual com port set up by the FTDI device driver, you should be able to connect to it using something like hyperterminal, or via the windows com port interface if you are writing your own code.