Two-wheeled balancing robot

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Two-wheeled balancing robot

Post by ahenshaw »

I have a working two-wheeled balancing robot, using an old XC-1A as a controller. I've created the project, but the video submission widget doesn't seem to like my URL:

http://youtu.be/SbbqmgwLOsA

In case it's hard to judge, the robot is just under 1-meter tall. I'm using an MPU6050 3-axis gyro/accelerometer for the angle sensing.

The next step is to integrate the quadrature encoders on the motors.

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Nice work.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

try the following URL in the projects page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbqmgwLOsA

youtu.be is an URL shortener service and very likely not supported by the website.

Nice work by the way :)
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Post by ahenshaw »

Thanks - that worked!

Since the balancing is working very well, I decided to burn the app into the flash, so that I can run untethered. However, I had forgotten that I have an XC-1 and not an XC-1A, which (I now realize) has no flash.

Perhaps the best solution would be to add my new startKIT board to the robot. I'm assuming that I could then use that as a bootloader for the XC-1 board (leaving that as the lowest-level controller). Then add a WiFi slice, so that I can have remote control.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

You cannot connect those two boards via xlinks (G and L
talk incompatible protocols); you can of course use some
custom bus.

Or you could ditch the XC-1 and do everything on the
startkit? Will your application fit?
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Post by ahenshaw »

You cannot connect those two boards via xlinks (G and L talk incompatible protocols); you can of course use some custom bus.
Well, crud. I did not even consider that as a possibility.
Or you could ditch the XC-1 and do everything on the startkit? Will your application fit?
Yeah it would fit. I wasn't too keen on redoing my hardware and cabling, though. I'm using the proto-board area of the XC-1 for the gyro/accelerometer.
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Post by ahenshaw »

Has anyone had experience with the MK802 Android sticks?

Assuming that I put a suitable Linux distribution on it (and, perhaps, a powered USB hub), can I use it to boot my XC-1? If so, that would be a great solution, as it would provide a small high-level Linux-based controller with WiFi.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Nice work, seams to be working rather well.

I never looked at the XC-1 board but if you have acess to the first 4 IO pins on core 0 and can get to the BOOTx pins you should be able to add some flash to it.

As for using an android stick its pretty much the same as any linux running ARM board like a raspberry pi and such. If you know your way around the more technical bits of linux its probably a very nice thing to have (I don't know much about linux so i never touched them)