site navigation

Archived group discussions. Please post all group discussions under their relevant XCore group page.
otitov
XCore Addict

site navigation

Post by otitov »

Hi!

It's nice to have groups on this site, but I see no means to navigate to them. The only possibility to reach groups is to follow posts on forum.

I would expect a "Groups" entry right between "News" and "Forum" in main navigation bar of this site.

Thanks.

Kane281
New User

Post by Kane281 »

I noticed this as well, though the "Join a group" link under "profile" does lead to http://xcore.com/groups

It would be nice to have a big fancy button for it though.
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

As does "find more groups" on you profile page.

Funny that such an important feature is not accessible from the top.
steven

Post by steven »

The "find a user" page (aka www.xcore.com/users) also is only accessable through a tiny text link at the bottom of the main page. Could it get a more prominent place?
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

And shouldn't clicking on the users name or photo shown to the left of their posts take you to their user page?
steven

Post by steven »

Yeah, I got that wrong the first couple of times also... Ah well, it's not too bad if you get used to it, but if it can easily be achieved, it'd be an improvement.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Hey guys. Yes I will try and figure out a better position for the groups tab as they currently are only accessed via profiles which given how popular they are getting, would be a wise thing to do for easy access. Problem is if I add it to the top it looks a bit over crowded. I will figure something out.

As for the phpbb integration with drupal - I have been informed of this already - it would certainly be nicer if the pictures in the forums took you to your proper profile. I need to figure out how to do this (find out where it is being generated in phpbb) and then wrap a href around it to the right place! Not hard as you said, just haven't had a chance to look in to it yet.

Watch this space!
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

jason wrote:Problem is if I add it to the top it looks a bit over crowded.
make it 2D?
mikef

Post by mikef »

What I find really confusing, is that if you click on the "Members" you get to one membership list, but if you click on "Find other professionals" off your profile page, you get to a entirely different membership list (that is much nicer to navigate).

-Fergs
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

mikef wrote:What I find really confusing, is that if you click on the "Members" you get to one membership list, but if you click on "Find other professionals" off your profile page, you get to a entirely different membership list (that is much nicer to navigate).

-Fergs

That is because "members" is PHPbb (this forum), and the "find other professionals" is one I made myself within the Drupal CMS.

We are running two different systems here, that are styled exactly the same, and share authentication, so it feels like it is one site - normally you would have to sign in (and register) twice!

Why is this? Because Drupal's forum support is shocking, and nowhere near as advanced as something like PHPbb. Also the vast majority of users are used to a forum functioning in the way PHPbb does.

I will add this to my list of forum tweaks along with the above regarding clicking user photos to go to profiles etc, to point things to the correct places.