deprecated xn files in xTimeComposer 13.1.0 community

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
LyleHaze
Experienced Member

deprecated xn files in xTimeComposer 13.1.0 community

Post by LyleHaze »

Greetings, I have been away since version 11.something, and on installing xTimeComposer Community 13.1.0, I find some of the xn files have been deprecated, including the type I had been using.
My project is built with an XS1-L02A , but I need to make a few minor modifications to the xn keep everything working.

So my question: Has the XS1-L02 chip been deprecated, or has someone just decided to call it by a different name? I do recall some name changes going on back around the time I was last active. renaming cores as tiles and threads as cores.. sounds like the salesmen wanted to make simple conversation as confusing as possible.

I am starting up tonight with a modified version of the deprecated L02 xn file, but if moving to a new name is more "correct", I should do that before sharing my work.

Oh, and I did try searching the forum first. Search is broken from this Chrome browser.. I may be lazy, but I did make an effort at least. :)

Thanks!

TSC
Experienced Member

Post by TSC »

The XS1-L02A has been renamed XS1-L16A. It's not deprecated. The changed number now refers to the number of logical cores on the chip rather than the number of tiles (threads rather than cores in oldspeak).

In the xTIMEcomposer\<version>\targets directory, I see four different xn files for the part. I think the only difference is system frequency (400 MHz for C10 or I10, 500 MHz for C8 or I8).

XS1-L16A-128-QF124-C10.xn
XS1-L16A-128-QF124-C8.xn
XS1-L16A-128-QF124-I10.xn
XS1-L16A-128-QF124-I8.xn
LyleHaze
Experienced Member

Post by LyleHaze »

Thank You!
I hope all my questions get such straightforward answers. :)

I modified one of the old xn files and successfully compiled an old project.
I'll add my changes to the newer part xn file instead.. no harm in updates as long as I won't break something.

I am now setting up a build system that works by FTP.. the project files are transferred to a windows machine where they are compiled, then the results are transferred back to the source machine.
It's a bit of a pain, but far easier than switching computers back and forth for every compile.

Thanks again!
LyleHaze