Bug with XUD library in USB Audio?

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
nuclearfurnace
New User

Bug with XUD library in USB Audio?

Post by nuclearfurnace »

Details:
- xTIMEcomposer 14.2.3, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
- USB Audio 2.0 6.15.2rc1
- custom board, XUF208-256-TQ64

I'm seeing what appearrrrs to be a bug in the XUD library. During compilation of my application, I get the following errors:

Code: Select all

/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:11:36: error: use of undeclared identifer `PORT_USB_TX_READYOUT'
  out port tx_readyout           = PORT_USB_TX_READYOUT;
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:11:36: error: initializer element is not constant
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:12:36: error: use of undeclared identifer `PORT_USB_TX_READYIN'
  in port tx_readyin             = PORT_USB_TX_READYIN;
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:12:36: error: initializer element is not constant
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:13:36: error: use of undeclared identifer `PORT_USB_RX_READY'
  in port rx_rdy                 = PORT_USB_RX_READY;
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/tobylawrence/workspace/SmartStand/module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc:13:36: error: initializer element is not constant
So, looking in "module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc", I see the following:

#if (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_U_SERIES) || (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_X200_SERIES)
  in buffered port:32 p_usb_clk  = PORT_USB_CLK;
  out buffered port:32 p_usb_txd = PORT_USB_TXD;
  in  buffered port:32 p_usb_rxd = PORT_USB_RXD;

on USB_TILE: clock tx_usb_clk  = XS1_CLKBLK_5;
  on USB_TILE: clock rx_usb_clk  = XS1_CLKBLK_4;

#elif (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_L_SERIES) || (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_G_SERIES)
  in buffered port:32 p_usb_clk  = PORT_USB_CLK;
  out port reg_write_port        = PORT_USB_REG_WRITE;
  in  port reg_read_port         = PORT_USB_REG_READ;
  out port p_usb_txd             = PORT_USB_TXD;
  port p_usb_rxd                 = PORT_USB_RXD;
  in port p_usb_stp              = PORT_USB_STP_SUS;
#else
  #error XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT not equal to XUD_U_SERIES, XUD_G_SERIES, XUD_X200_SERIES or XUD_L_SERIES
#endif
That makes sense... except for when you check out the port defines in "module_xud/include/xud.h":

#if (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_U_SERIES)
    #define PORT_USB_CLK         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1J
    #define PORT_USB_TXD         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8A
    #define PORT_USB_RXD         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8C
    #define PORT_USB_TX_READYOUT on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1K
    #define PORT_USB_TX_READYIN  on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1H
    #define PORT_USB_RX_READY    on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1M
  #else
    #define PORT_USB_CLK         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1H
    #define PORT_USB_REG_WRITE   on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8C
    #define PORT_USB_REG_READ    on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8D
    #define PORT_USB_RXD         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8B
    #define PORT_USB_STP_SUS     on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1E
  #endif
So these "ready" ports are defined if you're targeting a U-series device, but not if you're targeting an x200-series device... even though elsewhere, like in module_xud/src/XUD_Ports.xc, it expets the same ports to be available between U-series and x200-series devices.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong here, but this does feel like a bug.

Deep thoughts?

nuclearfurnace
New User

Post by nuclearfurnace »

Just a quick follow up:

looking further into this, I realized the port mappings for the USB subsystem are listed in the XUF208 datasheet. Changing the defines in "module_xud/src/xud.h" to this seem to address the issues:

#if (XUD_SERIES_SUPPORT == XUD_U_SERIES)
    #define PORT_USB_RXD         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8C
    #define PORT_USB_RX_READY    on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1M
  #else
    #define PORT_USB_REG_WRITE   on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8C
    #define PORT_USB_REG_READ    on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8D
    #define PORT_USB_RXD         on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_8B
    #define PORT_USB_STP_SUS     on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1E
    #define PORT_USB_RX_READY    on USB_TILE: XS1_PORT_1I
  #endif
Taking a cursory glance at other datasheets for XUF devices, my updated defines appear to be an accurate reflection of the port mappings.
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

It's the XN file where there would normally be a complete port mapping, e.g. xk-audio-216-mc.xn

xud.h has defaults that, as you found, are incomplete
nuclearfurnace
New User

Post by nuclearfurnace »

larry wrote:It's the XN file where there would normally be a complete port mapping, e.g. xk-audio-216-mc.xn

xud.h has defaults that, as you found, are incomplete
Yup, making the above change let me get past that issue and I was able to get USB working on my custom board. I figured I'd raise it here, initially, to try and get an answer while I investigated more in parallel, but it seems like this is probably worth fixing as xCORE-200 is sort of the future, right?

I guess maybe I'm overestimating the reliance of the reference apps for people building custom designs, but this problem was perplexing at first because it *appeared* all the options -- U vs L vs G vs 200 -- were they... but it didn't originally occur to me that they would be incomplete. :)
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

Definitely, thank you for pointing it out
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

I'm experiencing the same problems as nuclearfurnace
I also hav ethe sam eissue with reliance on the reference software when trying to do custom designs - it's an incredibly complicated maze of dependencies & exemptions & when there is a problem with a build I find it insanely difficult to track down where the bug may lie.
Now, I'm new to this so maybe I'm missing some tool or debugging feature that will help in tracking down the particular bug nuclearfurnace identified?

One thing that seems would address this is a fully specified xn file - I'm trying to create firmware fr a board that uses the XUF216-512-TQ128-C20 chip.
I don't see full port mapping in the xn file for XUF216-512-TQ128 but I do see it in xk-audio-216-mc.xn.

So what should I be using? Is therea giude to the structure of & how to modify a xn file (it's XML right?)
Am I wrong to use the installed target XUF216-512-TQ128?
Should I be using both xn files?
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

it's an incredibly complicated maze of dependencies & exemptions & when there is a problem with a build I find it insanely difficult to track down where the bug may lie
In .build folder of your app you can find files output from preprocessor (ending .i for C files and .xi for XC files). These can be very useful when working with numerous hash define options, like we do in the USB audio code base. Compiler saves these when using the -save-temps flag. Our makefiles will put files from not only the top level app in the .build folder, but also the app's modules. Very handy.

Regarding XN files, there is fundamentally no difference between the XN file for a bare package and XN file for a whole board. You pass XN file to the tools and for all I/Os listed in XN file, tools create symbolic names you can refer to in your source. If you list ports that aren't actually available on given package, tools will warn you. Tools get package information from another file, PKG, that's part of the tools (lives in a directory called configs). When writing own XN file, it's always best to cross check against list of available I/Os in silicon datasheet.

XN files are documented in xTIMEcomposer user guide. Please do shout if you find important information that is missing.
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

Thanks Larry, I missed this post somehow - good info.