XMOS Web Oscilloscope/Analyser

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
russf
XCore Addict

XMOS Web Oscilloscope/Analyser

Post by russf »

Version: 0.01
License: BSD

For many XMOS-based I/O related projects, a simple single-channel analyser/oscilloscope will be required, with a resolution down to a few microseconds. A concrete use-case is my 1-wire project. For initial development (but not for detailed transmission-line analysis) 30MHz binary data would be fine.
This project will be based on the XC-2 web-server firmware, and will start by displaying samples captured by a simple binary sampling thread, running on the same core as the web server. The results may be displayed initially as simple characters, but may also be extended to SVG format, which can be directly rendered in Firefox.
Further extensions may include sampling of additional ports, to produce a multi-channel logic analyser. The ability to trigger recording on internal events would also be useful.

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Hi,

Check out this project which is very similar to your ideas:
http://www.xmoslinkers.org/node/284
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

The NetScope is a great project to get ideas from. Another interesting open source scope to check out is the PropScope at www.parallax.com, it has a bandwidth of 25MHz.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

As someone else mentioned Corin has made something very similar to this. View it in the forum under inspirational videos or click this link.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Corin's device looks really interesting, and is well presented. Shame on me for not having found it before.

I've grabbed Colin's code, and will try to reuse the display side, including the SVG generation, which I was going to leave until later. He's clearly dealt with potential issues with size of the server-side page buffer, so I'm interested to see how that works.

I'm not planning on doing any analog side. The 'scope' can then run directly on an XC-2 or similar to look at binary traces.

Thanks for your interest...

Best wishes,

--r.

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

As people have been talking about Corin's NetScope - here is a video overview of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_rxEcsORyU