Using XMOS in hi-end DAC mod

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Light
Member++

Using XMOS in hi-end DAC mod

Post by Light »

Version: 1
License: BSD

Will like to explore the possibility to provide a good module for retail hi end DAC product mod market.
A lot of good branded DAC could be the start. PS Audio, Ayre, Benmark and so on.
But need a lot of good users who already own these DACs so we can design the physical specs together.
The major function of the mod module is to provide USB 192K/24bit capability to these DACs.

Input should be USB only, output should be a stereo I2S output. Power input should have several flexbilities: 5V, 12V, 15V.
Please comments.

bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

One issues with these products is the lack of standards. You would need to include alot of flexibility to do this. Some are 5V interface, others are 3.3V. Some are I2S master, some slave. Some have a ASRC, others do not. What MCLK's are needed? It is not easy to even figure all this out among the products. Transmitting I2S over anything more than a couple inches is another concern with adding jitter and of course you have to deal with the analog ground.
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

1. About 5V/3.3V output: we can use an output buffer to provide both.
2. ASRC or not: We can provide bit-perfect I2S only. Original system can decide do ASRC or not.
3. I2S master or slave: This is a good question. There will be two different firmware or design for this.
Need to think about it.
4. I2S connection: I think with thin BNC type cable, transmission over 5~10 inches should be fine.
But the problem is, there usually will be no connector in the DAC board.
Sometimes it is hard to find the proper injection points.
5. MCLK generation: Usually will be 64,128 or 256 of Fs. We can provide all three multiples.

Still have several key problems here... any other good ideas?

abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

Any progress on this or is it on hold? I'm curious, as I'm considering designing my own DAC using XMOS.
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

But it seems hard to do a module can fit in ALL kinds of DAC chips... what DAC chip do you plan to use?
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

But it seems hard to do a module can fit in ALL kinds of DAC chips... what DAC chip do you plan to use?
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

Can be slaved or master... Can send out I2S signal by simple pin list or RJ45 connectors.