Xmos Microphone array + PIC32MZ

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
tnet

Xmos Microphone array + PIC32MZ

Post by tnet »

I have a PIC32MZ2048EFH144 (10 Bit ADC) Microcontroller that has a USB Host Port (OTG).

Datasheet: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 01320D.pdf

My initial goal was to use the built in USB port in my microcontroller and interface 3-4+ USB microphones using some USB hub to receive data and do analysis.

However, I stumbled upon the xmos microphone array and I want to know if the xmos microphone array can be connected to this one USB port on my Microcontroller and be compatible, so I can get data from here and program it on MPLABX IDE.

Is this possible?

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Most of us here are not an experts on the Microchip series, but the xmos mic array can present itself as a standard USB audio class 1 or 2 device. So, as long as your MCU can support a standard UAC1 or UAC2 device, then yes, it will work. An embedded USB audio host stack is going to be a bit of a monster though.
You can also connect via I2S - that feels a lot easier and lightweight. You would probably want to configure the MCU as slave (the master clock would be on the MIC board) but it would be possible to swap that around with some modification, and use the CS2100 on the xmos board to regenerate the clock.

Some work to do here but it is all possible.