Can't use xTIME workspace under version control? Topic is solved

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
ahogen
Member++

Can't use xTIME workspace under version control?

Post by ahogen »

I really need version control and am currently actively using SVN. I have simply put my entire xTIMEcomposer workspace in version control which all works okay on a single machine. When I move to another machine? Good luck. Errors galore about Java and Eclipse files missing.

I do in fact need all the libraries and dependencies in one place under version control. I've found issues with XMOS libraries and need to track my fixes as well, not just my application code.

I would like to always have the source I am working on in the version controlled space. I do not want to have to work outside of the version control have to "Export to filesystem" or something ridiculous to shove my updated code into SVN.

How can I use SVN/Git on my workspace and have the project build-able on *any* machine?

View Solution
aclassifier
Respected Member

Post by aclassifier »

xTIMEcomposer has .git built in. Create a git repository for your project. An invisible .git directory appears. Team Commit, Commit and Commit. I do this on my iMac. When I need to go away and work on a MacBook instead (and have no git server running ther either) I use ChronoSync that syncs what I need (via Time Capsule disk in my case). When I open my project on the MacBook I have all history. Disclaimer: I am new to git at home. At work somebody sets it up for me; but there we do have a git server running. Other readers here, maybe I need as much help as ahogen?
--
Øyvind Teig
Trondheim (Norway)
https://www.teigfam.net/oyvind/home/
ahogen
Member++

Post by ahogen »

Thanks for the reply, aclassifier.

As I mentioned above, I'm using Subversion (SVN). I have used Git a decent amount in the past but chose SVN for some organizational reasons.

I did see Git options (Window > Preferences > Team > Git) but again, not using Git. In "Help > Eclipse Marketplace" it looks like you can get addons and whatnot, but I already dislike Eclipse as it is. The point is that I have SVN on my machine. It works with any old code file. If this was a basic C project, I'd have a folder with a makefile and my code and we'd be done with it, but the IDE has a ton of workspace overhead it apparently needs to handle.

I did arrive at a solution for my own situation, yesterday. Starting with a full workspace of XMOS lib_* folders and my own project, I did the following...

EDIT 1:

MOVED to a Github Gist so folks can revise as necessary. Please hop on over to:
Last edited by ahogen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aclassifier
Respected Member

Post by aclassifier »

ahogen, great recipe! But the built-in git serves my puprose well. Even that two-machine solution, I guess.

For those who want to follow your recipe I suggest you update it should you find out after some use that it's not 100%.

Øyvind
--
Øyvind Teig
Trondheim (Norway)
https://www.teigfam.net/oyvind/home/