WAF Build System Tool for xcc

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
aneves
Experienced Member

WAF Build System Tool for xcc

Post by aneves »

Hello,

I noticed in the XMOS github page that more and more examples appear to be using the WAF build system instead of the xmos common makefile infrastructure. I also noticed that XMOS forked the WAF build system itself and added branches that probably relate to future xTimeComposer releases. In one of the wscripts I noticed that xwaf.compiler_xcc is being loaded which I assume is a WAF tool which uses xcc to compile & build xmos projects. Is it correct to assume XMOS is shifting the build system towards WAF?

Would someone at XMOS be willing to share the WAF tool xwaf.compiler_xcc? I'd like to use WAF for our projects and I'd rather not have to write this WAF tool if someone else has already figured it out.

Thanks!

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Hi,
well spotted! Yes we are internally evaluating the WAF build system as an alternative to make, and our extension to that, xcommon. It's getting slower for some of our really big projects and WAF looks like it can offer some useful build time speedups.

However, we are in evaluation phase at the moment and are still testing/developing. There is a preliminary plan to add it as an unsupported feature in the next tools release (date not yet clear) but it's early days yet and none of this is set in stone. We haven't altered the actual WAF source - we are concentrating on a plugin for this which is a private repo.

So sorry can't offer any dates or guarantees yet (it's important but not urgent) but it's likely we'll move this way so keep an eye out!