Boot Mode Discrepancy in Datasheets

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
aneves
Experienced Member

Boot Mode Discrepancy in Datasheets

Post by aneves »

Hi Guys,

I need a little clarity from someone at XMOS or someone intimate with the subject of setting the boot mode of a processor. According to the 2 datasheets I've read - one for the XU216 and on for the XL216 - only 4 boot modes are listed in Figure 9 in Section 8:

However, I found this in Application Note AN00185

I noticed that the dates on the datasheets are more recent than the application note. Why was this left out of the datasheets for the processors?

I was under the impression that xCore-200 devices could only be booted as slaves via xConnect Links on XL0 in 2-wire mode. It sounds like that is not the only option?

Thanks!

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

The current datasheets 2017-09-19 for both devices offer upto 8 boot modes but is dependent on the package of the component.

The TQFP128 is limited in the boot options, likely due to less # of pins. The larger pin count devices support the full 8 boot modes.

https://www.xmos.com/support/silicon/da ... 200+XU/XUF

https://www.xmos.com/support/silicon/da ... 200+XL/XLF

Based on your observations, assuming you are using the TQFP128 package? Then the noted 4 boot modes is consistent across the datasheets for this package.
eez-open

Post by eez-open »

XE(F)-512-TQFP128 for example has exposed links 0, 3, 4 and 7, all except 3 are full 5-wire. Why 101 mode is not supported?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

eez-open wrote:XE(F)-512-TQFP128 for example has exposed links 0, 3, 4 and 7, all except 3 are full 5-wire. Why 101 mode is not supported?
Can you share the details of your datasheet for this part? Do not see the same information on the current datasheet on the XMOS website.

Also be sure to check against the current XCORE-200 Port Map for the TQFP128 package:

https://www.xmos.com/published/xcore-20 ... es-portmap

If all 5 wires for transmit + all 5 wires for receive functions for the same link # are not available, then 5w mode cannot be supported for that package.
eez-open

Post by eez-open »

Yes, I'm referring to the spreadsheet that you mentioned. I made my variant with colored backgrounds of full (5-wire) xlinks (see column link), even as far as I understand, 2-wire xlink should be enough for boot. There we can see that xlink4 (purple) and xlink7 (green) are available if USB and RGMII are not used what I believe is the case on the beginning (boot time).
aneves
Experienced Member

Post by aneves »

Echoing eez-open's point, the TQ218 package for the XL processors bring out XL0, XL3, XL4, and XL7 xConnect Links in 5w to pins. Sounds to me like all boot modes except 110 should be supported ?
aneves
Experienced Member

Post by aneves »

Yes, no, maybe? Anybody?