XTAG-3 compatible with XS1? mine just burned out

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
bowerymarc

XTAG-3 compatible with XS1? mine just burned out

Post by bowerymarc »

I have a custom design based on XS1-U6A-64-FB96 (the MIYO), it can draw up to 500mA from the 5V pin on the JTAG header interface to XTAG. I've been using an XTAG-2 for years during development of this and others, never had a problem. Recently got an XTAG-3 as part of a XC200 kit, and I was doing some testing of new firmware on this old product, and my XTAG-3 seems to have given up the ghost. Only LED on the board that is lit is now the one on the 3V3 line. And the XS1 on the board is getting quite hot.

Going back to the XTAG-2, everything works fine, able to debug, flash, etc.

Looked at the schematic for the XTAG-3, I don't see why it would get cooked.... or what might have died (probably the XS1...)

Anyone use XTAG-3 with XS1?

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Believe xtag3 is fitted with a 350 ma fuse on pin 1.

Is the fuse blown or in tact with your 500 ma load?

Does this tool by itself enumerate in Windows (without connecting to your pcb)?
bowerymarc

Post by bowerymarc »

mon2 wrote:Believe xtag3 is fitted with a 350 ma fuse on pin 1.

Is the fuse blown or in tact with your 500 ma load?
Yes, according to the schematic it's 350mA. But nope, fuse is still fine, still 5V power.
mon2 wrote: Does this tool by itself enumerate in Windows (without connecting to your pcb)?
Nope, nada.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hmm. Not good. Déjà vu? Citing your last experience and discovery, could it be the in-rush current on Vbus striking out the CPU once again? It is also sad that the XTAG3 design does not feature even simple ESD protection for the USB lines. Would love to revise this tool to be more robust but without the access to the XTAG3 firmware being available, very hard to do.

Unless there was an excessive current draw event downstream, guessing that some transient from the USB side took out your tool. On a good note, they are not too expensive and at this time of writing, in stock @ Digikey.
bowerymarc

Post by bowerymarc »

yeah, i'm going to let it sit for a few days and see if it comes back to life. But if I remember right, this thing will light up more than just the 3V3 LED when it powers up (though, I haven't tried powering up from e.g. a USB power adaptor with no bus functionality to see if that's still true... if you have one maybe you can fill in those blanks for me?)

I agree, it would have been nice to at least have some basic ESD on it... air isn't particularly dry around here these days though.

They are in stock, and I'll probably get another one... bummer that shipping is such a big cost compared to the device! I wish the firmware were available, I'd try swapping the XMOS chip! :(
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

We received an XTAG-3 board with our XCORE-200 Explorer Kit (XK-EVK-216). Just powering up with our Raspberry PI 3 power supply (5V @ 3A), do see a few lights on for this XTAG-3 board (not connected to anything downstream). Some of the onboard LEDs are dim. After our lab phone used for our BLE projects is juiced up, will take a pic and post here for your comparison. Should be in the next 2 hours or less.

To confirm, your XTAG-3 board worked fine with the XMOS XCORE-200 board but flaked out on the first docking with your custom design? Or after a period of use?

How is the wiring on your custom XSYS connector? Sounds like something caused the XMOS GPIO lines to be loaded down. The XTAG-3 schematic shows that some of the interface lines on the XSYS connector are current limited through series resistors but not all. Our focus would be on the review of the XSYS connector on your custom board. Could be wrong but believe we have used both the older XTAG2 and XTAG3 adapters without care on the XMOS kits.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Have a HD microscope if you need closeups :) Let us know.
bowerymarc

Post by bowerymarc »

mon2 wrote: Just powering up with our Raspberry PI 3 power supply (5V @ 3A), do see a few lights on for this XTAG-3 board (not connected to anything downstream). Some of the onboard LEDs are dim.
Thanks for checking that and the picture. Yeah, on mine all those LEDs are completely off save the 3V3 green LED. It's "gone to meet it's maker"... it's "pushing up the daisies"
mon2 wrote:
To confirm, your XTAG-3 board worked fine with the XMOS XCORE-200 board but flaked out on the first docking with your custom design? Or after a period of use?
On the XCORE-200 eval board, and custom hardware with XC-200 chips on it. Using it for months, sometimes plugged in and powered up for weeks at a time.
mon2 wrote:
How is the wiring on your custom XSYS connector? Sounds like something caused the XMOS GPIO lines to be loaded down. The XTAG-3 schematic shows that some of the interface lines on the XSYS connector are current limited through series resistors but not all. Our focus would be on the review of the XSYS connector on your custom board. Could be wrong but believe we have used both the older XTAG2 and XTAG3 adapters without care on the XMOS kits.
The connection and components were lifted directly from the sliceKIT schematics...

And it's a couple of years old, been used by multiple people in multiple locations with the XTAG2 without incident....