XC-1A IDC Header

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
DanB
Experienced Member

XC-1A IDC Header

Post by DanB »

I'd like to be able to interact with the XS1-G4 on the XC-1A development kit, via the four I/O expansion areas. The hardware manual for the development kit states:
The I/O pins of XCore1, XCore2 and XCore3 are brought out to expansion areas on
both sides of the card. These areas have 0.1” pitch plated through holes and are
suitable for use with IDC headers. To provide maximum flexibility, no headers are
fitted, allowing the most suitable type to be selected.
Can anybody please advise on the different options available to populate the I/O expansion areas on the development kit? I'd prefer a method that allows me to conveniently connect to specific pins as I develop... Is it best to bridge these over a breadboard where I can connect other breakout boards or sensors? If not, what's best?

My search only results in headers such as the one below. I can find plugs for this header but they tend to go out to a ribbon cable, which I am not sure will be ideal for using to access pins in development.

Any help would be great :).

Dan.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

I used pin headers similar to the one you shown, but used female ones. and for breadboring i made one header that simply has a 15cm wire on each pin.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I used a male header with ribbon cable going to a PCB.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

I use regular male headers (not boxed/IDC). They can still be used with ribbon cables, but you have to pay attention to the polarity.

If you want to use a boxed header you can only used 18x2 which is not common. Two times 8x2 won't fit, there is not enough space between the ports. (at least for XC-1, i assume it is the same for the XC-1A)
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Thanks for the replies. I'd not considered the issue relating to the box of the IDC header being too large... Good spot!

I've just found a photo that looks similar to what I'd like to achieve (I'm aware it's an XC-2 but still...):

This was originally on Digikey website.

Anyway, those headers look great. Is it possible to buy those in 2x8 size? I'd rather not have to chop them down myself as they never look so good :) Any recommended places to buy these things? The likes of Farnell and RS will be rediculous for shipping, for example.

octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Female headers are nice when you want to use a breadboard with male-male jumper wires like those

Male headers are nice when you use female/female jumper wires, or when you have daughter boards having IDC female connectors (most of accessory boards on the market have female connectors).

For the angle of the pins, bracketed angle connectors are nice when you want to connect your board to other boards (having bracketed connector), like on XK1 dev kit.
Straight connector is fine when you use mainly ribbon cable like this one:

If you use straight idc male connectors, you can still use boards like this to do prototyping on breadboards
xcorific
Member++

Post by xcorific »

I realize I'm late to the game here, but I'm going through the same thing right now. I want to prototype with my XC-1A! I personally would like to have female headers so I can use jumper wire to go from the XC-1A to my breadboard(s).

I ended up finding something usable on Digikey (part number 609-3575-ND), but boy are they expensive... $2.70 each? Seriously?

Can anyone propose a similar part, but for < $1?
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

I'd look on ebay for "female header".
(If you have enough patience to wait a few weeks on shipping).

I would avoid these though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40Pin-40-pin-Si ... 5645b54d5a

The quality is not enough for long-term use.
xcorific
Member++

Post by xcorific »

Bianco wrote:I'd look on ebay for "female header".
(If you have enough patience to wait a few weeks on shipping).

I would avoid these though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40Pin-40-pin-Si ... 5645b54d5a

The quality is not enough for long-term use.
Great suggestion... why didn't I think of that? Found a great deal here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-Golden-D ... 1e584ab91a

I'll order some to keep in my toolbox for next time, but I went ahead and got the others from Digikey for now... :(
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

A little late in the game but I used the exact right-angled header you have pictured.

As Bianco mentioned, they are a little wide to sit next to one another; I simply used a scalpel to remove an excess portion of the header. There's a nice little line which marks the perfect cut-off length on the underside of the plastic. They are perfect if you're using jumper wires (which is the current extent of my usage).
100_1554.JPG
One thing I will mention against, using right-angled headers means you can't slap a shield on your board. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams