ring-buffered uart

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
schmiedl

ring-buffered uart

Post by schmiedl »

Hi,

I'm currently writing a program for the XK-1A, that gets data via uart and processes them in some way (adjust servo-values). As I have a lot of timing-problems, I'm trying to decouple uart-speed from data-processing speed with a ring buffer thread.
The slow thread (data processing) gets data from the ring buffer only on request. The ring buffer is being filled by the uart-rx-loop.
Unfortunately the data isn't dumped out properly. Sending "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789" generates the output:
received a = 0x61
received \376 = 0xfe

The code is attached. Thanks for your help!

With kind regards,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Hi,

I perhaps cannot help you with your problem. But perhaps distract you with an alternative solution.

Why do you want to use a ring buffer? Wouldnt' a simple FIFO buffer do the same thing?

In the XMOS Led Tile Application there is a solution for a similar problem. There you have a buffer for packets:

https://github.com/xcore/sw_led_tile_co ... /pktbuffer

Perhaps this solution can help you - or you can derrive a solution for your problem from that code?

Hope it helps

Marcus
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Interactive_Matter wrote:Hi,

I perhaps cannot help you with your problem. But perhaps distract you with an alternative solution.

Why do you want to use a ring buffer? Wouldnt' a simple FIFO buffer do the same thing?

In the XMOS Led Tile Application there is a solution for a similar problem. There you have a buffer for packets:

https://github.com/xcore/sw_led_tile_co ... /pktbuffer

Perhaps this solution can help you - or you can derrive a solution for your problem from that code?

Hope it helps

Marcus
That FIFO you link to is in fact implemented using a ring buffer :)
schmiedl

Post by schmiedl »

thanks for your replies. after hours of pain with channels, i now use a shared array. i still don't understand, why the code doesn't work, but it's time to go on now. when i find a solution for decoupled uart, i'll let you know.