startkit xmos not detected on windows/mac os x

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
parisjohn

startkit xmos not detected on windows/mac os x

Post by parisjohn »

Hello,

When i connect my startkit xmos on usb, xTimeComposer do not find any hardware on Run configurations.
I have tried to unplugged it many times.
When i put the micro usb i see only five led clignoting

Thanks

Jonathan

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Which OSX version are you running ? Intel MAC ? If you can wait till Monday, will test the same upon reaching the office. We have 10.6.8 and 10.8.2 on Intel Macs in the lab.

In the meantime, if you enter 'About this Mac' -> 'More info' -> USB to list all docked USB devices. Note that the listing does not refresh automatically so if you unplug & plug, exit this menu and re-enter to list the current status.

Do you see the XMOS Startkit being docked in this USB device tree ?

The spinning LEDs confirms that you are receiving power to the StartKit. Have you tested other USB ports on your MAC ?

You have also tested with Windows on the MAC ? What does the Device Manager on Windows report ? Do you see a yellow (exclamation) marked device in the Device Manager tree ? If yes, the device driver required for the StartKit is not installed.

Kumar

Update 12-24-2013

Installed the startKit on our Intel Mac at the office with OSX 10.8.2 by following their posted instructions. Toolchain installed and ran smoothly (fresh compilation of the demo code) for the rotating LED demo.

Daskala

Post by Daskala »

Hello there!

Yesterday I received my XMOS startKIT, and here we go, followed every single step, but when I start the xTIMEcomposer -> detect connected hardwere I got "xTIMEcomposer was unable to detect any hardware connected to your system" I checked the device manager, XMOS appeard to be on USB - no yellow exlamation marks no nothing(I have the drivers). I also got the spinning LEDs - which means, I have power to the startKIT but still can't figure out how to connect/make it work.

Tried one of the LED example projects from the communitiy but since the startKIT is unfriendly - nothing happened... Please help!

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Created a quick tutorial on how to compile The Spinning Bar code example on the XMOS startkit. Have a look and see if it fixes your problem. If not, provide more details of the issues. Better yet, if you are running Windows, install a screen capture program like Greenshot and share the screens of the errors.

Greenshot is available here:

http://getgreenshot.org

See URL for PDF on a procedure that worked on my system (Windows 7 64 bit with Community tool 13.0.0 + XMOS startKit). The filesize is greater than 512 KB so it could not be posted here. The PDF is hosted on our company server.

http://www.softio.com/doc/xmos_tutorial_v11.pdf

lolotobg
New User

Post by lolotobg »

I have the same problem on Windows, too. (win 7 x64) The driver is corectly installed and the device is recognised in Device Manager but the xTime Composer does not detect the startKit. The only thing I have changed is a line in the configuration file of the xTime Composer because it was showing an error "Cannot create the virtual machine" or something like that and after research on the net I found that solution.

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Review the above documentation - specifically pages 17 & 18. Do you see the JTAG interface like in the screen captures ? If not, exit the XMOS tool and restart and review the same configuration again for this JTAG interface. If the correct driver is installed then this configuration should display the USB driven tool. Write back with your update. Hope it helps.

PS: Interesting observation - if the startKit is NOT connected to your computer (ie. NOT detected by your s/w) - the same 'Failed to create JAVA virtual machine' message will appear !! Ran the toolchain again, the toolchain ran correctly. Repeated the same procedure and the error message was displayed once again. Strange. This is on Windows 7 64 bit. However, it is only an observation and the combination has worked well for a number of tests using the startKit installed on the same PC.

Attached is the error code that is displayed (without a connected startKit).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lolotobg
New User

Post by lolotobg »

Anyone got a solution?

laug38
New User

Post by laug38 »

I have same problem :(

Which OSX version are you running ? Intel MAC ? If you can wait till Monday, will test the same upon reaching the office. We have 10.6.8 and 10.8.2 on Intel Macs in the lab.

>>> I am using 10.9.1

In the meantime, if you enter 'About this Mac' -> 'More info' -> USB to list all docked USB devices. Note that the listing does not refresh automatically so if you unplug & plug, exit this menu and re-enter to list the current status.

Do you see the XMOS Startkit being docked in this USB device tree ?

>>> Nope, my mac did not recongize the startkit

The spinning LEDs confirms that you are receiving power to the StartKit. Have you tested other USB ports on your MAC ?

>>> I have tried all ports on my mac, but result is the same, but I did not test the startkit on windows.

Please advise, thanks!

George

laug38
New User

Post by laug38 »

Just got home and tested on another mac, the same startkit can be detected on 10.6.8 ...

Seems there is an issue detecting the kit for mac 10.9.1 ...

Please help because my working mac is running on 10.9.1, thanks!

George

adamisepic

Post by adamisepic »

I'm having the exact same problem on windows 7 64 bit.  I installed the drivers as shown in the PDF, restarted the IDE several times, even checked from the command line tool, but the device still doesnt show up.  I know the device works because I was able to upload code to it from a friend's computer, but I can't get it to work on my computer.  If anybody has the solution to this problem, I would appreciate it very much if you would take the time to help those with this problem.