xTimeComposer can't detect startKit - Linux Mint 15

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
ecogiko

xTimeComposer can't detect startKit - Linux Mint 15

Post by ecogiko »

Hello, I received a XMOS startKit yesterday (thanks for that!) and I tried to hook it up. Unfortunatelly I can't get te composer to recognise it and I am a little bummed out about that. My kernel version is

ico@work ~ $ uname -r
    3.8.0-19-generic

I followed you tutorial for adding support for usbfs with an udev rule, I think the one you provide on your site is incomplete because today (two-three days after releasing it) I found a tutorial that adds another rule in the xmos.rules.

The one you provide:

SUBSYSTEM!="usb|usb_device", GOTO="xmos_rules_end"
    ACTION!="add", GOTO="xmos_rules_end"
    # 20b1:f7d1 for xmos xtag2
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f7d1", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xtag2-%n"
    # 0403:6010 for XC-1 with FTDI dual-uart chip
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xc1-%n"
    LABEL="xmos_rules_end"
Kraaimas:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f7d1", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xtag2-%n"
    # 20b1:f7d3 for xmos startkit
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f7d3", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="startkit-%n"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xc1-%n"
    LABEL="xmos_rules_end"

I tried with both udev rulesets but with nothing changed.
I downloaded the code composer again and ran the commands as a root:

Code: Select all

work Community_13.0.1 # source SetEnvwork Community_13.0.1 # ./xtimecomposerBut still it sais 'xTIMEcomposer was unable to detect any hardware connected to your system.'.Although now it display a warning in the terminal:

(xTIMEcomposer:3919): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

delmadord

Post by delmadord »

Greetings, my solution to make this work on Linux Mint 15:
sudo usermod -a -G dialout [your_username]

Restart or logout/login here to make group updates active;

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-xmos.rules

Code: Select all

ATTR{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTR{idProduct}=="f7d1", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xtag2-%n", GROUP="dialout"

ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="xc1-%n", GROUP="dialout"

# 20b1:f7d3 for xmos startkit
ATTR{idVendor}=="20b1", ATTR{idProduct}=="f7d3", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="startkit-%n", GROUP="dialout"

LABEL="xmos_rules_end"

sudo restart udev

gedit ~/.bashrc

and attach the contents of the SetEnv file to the end of the file. Edit the XMOS_TOOL_PATH Also reconnect the device, if it were connected. 

Hope this helps, Merry Christmas :)