Can XMOS convert BT.656 to RGB (24 bit) to display 30fps?

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
vaidasm

Can XMOS convert BT.656 to RGB (24 bit) to display 30fps?

Post by vaidasm »

Hello, I was using simple microcontrollers for my projects, but now, for my new project it's not enough to use just simple uC, so I was thinking about FPGA or XMOS SoC :) Just wanted Yours opinions - is it possible to use XMOS multicore processor for this task:
microcontroller reads BT.656 video signal (8 or 10 bits in parallel + CLK), decode it to normal RGB, streams all the data to LCD (24bit - each color 8bits, sync signals, etc...), plus adds interactive stuf on video, like clock or date (maby in different layer, i don't know how :) ). Everything should work at least 30fps. 

Thank You.

sudha

Post by sudha »

BT.656 data stream is a sequence of 8-bit or 10-bit words, transmitted at a rate of 27 Mbyte/s. Individual pixels in a line are coded in YCbCr format.

XMOS microcontroller could read the words in parallel at this rate. Since each logical core runs at a maximum clock speed of 125 MHz and the number of assembly instructions executed between two successive reads is limited, docoding of YCbCr to RGB format may not be done on-the-fly. It may be necessary to store every line of pixels, then decode and send to LCD. Adding text on video is possible and frame rate depends on the size of the frame.

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

You dont say what resoluton you require?

If you simply want to display on a screen I would use a camera that outputs RGB. I have used Omnision modules in the past.

Very old video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6b2ug9I ... dDyhXvjsNw

Note, it includes text blending.