NetStamp

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Folknology
XCore Legend

NetStamp

Post by Folknology »

Version: 0.1
License: Custom Licence
Download: http://github.com/folknology/Amino

NetStamp is an opensource hardware part of the Amino project, it supports many of the basic features and requirements of that project. NetStamp provides the latest XMOS multicore technology in an accessible stamp form factor, using dual inline connectors. Now anyone can build Xmos multi core projects without the need of complex surface mount assembly and production, lowering the barrier to entry for co-creative organisations and individuals alike. But NetStamp brings much more to the party than a regular stamp, it includes 100/10 Base t Ethernet networking which when used with the Amino TCP/IP stack allows construction of sophisticated Internet based devices. With this new generation of Net based stamps a whole new era of intelligent Internet devices can be envisaged, prototyped and produced at a fraction of the cost of previous solutions. NetStamp introduces event driven processing to an audience who were previously denied access due to the complexities of surface mount technology, the Amino project will achieve similar software benefits to that same audience.
Features

Xmos dual core XS1 L2 multiprocessing 800-1000 MIPs of event driven processing
Amino software compatibility
Built in Ethernet 100/10baseT networking incl TCP/IP
Full Speed 480Mbits/sec USB
On Board Analogue I/O up to 14bit ADCs and 9 Bit DACs
Special function analogue blocks including, 2 capacitive sensing pins
Xmos Xtag/Xtag2 programming and debugging via an adaptor
Channel expansion to connect other Xmos devices
Compact size approximately 55 x 45mm
4Mbits storage for amino stack and user space
Optional MicroSD card socket allowing Gigabytes of data and program storage
Total of 43 I/O lines of which 2 are dedicated I2C and 7 provide analogue functions

I will be using the first NetStamp prototypes to test and build the Amino stack over the next few months, I am looking for early adopters to join me in developing the software and hardware peripherals/daughterboards/motherboards. After the prototype build, I will perform early access build for alpha geeks and developers who would like to get onto the project early on. If your are interested and would like to reserve one of the initial dev boards please message me directly.
Further Documentation
Interested in contributing? Why not join the Amino Community

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

The position of the components in the render will be adjusted - and you will be able to plug in a USB cable later ;)
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Amazing. Just a couple of hours ago I was in a meeting discussing with an electronics design shop how to do the simple task of interfacing a whole lot of I/O bits, from 32 to 256, to one of our products. We are a software shop not much interested in getting into custom hardware unless we really have to.

They started to propose a board with an ARM and SPI bus I/O exapanders etc etc. I quickly drew up on the white board an XMOS device with say 32 I/O pins, USB, ethernet and serial. A general purpose interfacing board. Pointing out that more I/O can be achieved by simply chaining such boards together.

So, I come out of the meeting only to find you have made the thing already !

Anyway, if only for my own personal projects it looks very desirable. When and how can we get one:)

Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Strangely enough, I was discussing the Open Source Hardware phenomenon with by boss the other day. As I said above we are a software shop that really does not want to get into expensive hardware design/manufacture unless absolutely necessary for a project. Even buying industrial strength hardware is expensive enough.

I pointed out that we could perhaps design or get designed some boards like the one I mentioned and if it's of general use open the design and perhaps sell some boards on the side just to cover the costs. After all the IP on that is not our main interest in life. In fact it's an obstacle to our main business. The boss was quite intrigued by the idea.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Open Source Hardware effort is not just something for hobbyists and geeks but could be something beneficial to all kinds of small businesses and such where problems need solving but the solution is not the reason for being of the enterprise. Shared IP like this could well be of practical and economic benefit to all of society.

All this inspired by reading the Folknology blog.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Looks very professional and thanks for sharing.
Right now I'm building a BOM for a lean bench reflow setup.
It be a rewarding test to me. that is how i'll get my L2 on ; )
Then I'd jump right into the mean nasty brier patch of complex systems.
OR not
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

I think we have only begun to see what the future is like.
The future is massive, parallel, concurrent and fast.
Immersible liquid designable architecture's.
Big solutions for a wonderful world and its posterity
The company made a very smart decision in choosing C,C++.
compliancy. I dig XC and the Xasm most. Xmos will thrive well
in the future. the tools to build the future are now common and
the fun has just begun. Pick good tools.

Labrat @ LRG
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

xmos
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Hi Rowan

I am really excited that it fits so snuggly into your plans..

On availability here is the plan:

1) Optimise PCB Design and DRC - this week!
2) Build prototypes and finish basic testing - May/June
3) Do a development/alphageek build for those interested in developing NetStamp and the Amino stack.
4) Do a proper build (larger) and make them available for purchase for anyone
5) Lots of software development for the Amino Stack and we also have some peripherals planned by us and others which we would like to see
6) More projects use NetStamp...

Thats it roughly..
regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I am in the process of updating the NetStamp design which will change a little bit in order to reflect upstream changes in Amino functionality. I will not however be able to finalise the new design until the Amino hardware reference platform is complete. I am hoping to finish the hardware reference platform very shortly.

Apologies for the delay, but I want to do it right..

regards
Al
RogerH

Post by RogerH »

Hi Al,

Many thanks for the update on Netstamp status.

I am watching progress on this with much interest.

Thanks, Roger...