xBLE: XMOS BLuetooth (Low Energy)

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
jhrose

xBLE: XMOS BLuetooth (Low Energy)

Post by jhrose »

The aim of xBLE is to implement a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) interface using XMOS technology. An XMOS processor will electrically interface with a BLE Controller through a serial port (UART). The BLE Core Specification defines a Host Controller Interface (HCI); the client-side of which will be implemented in software on XMOS.
xBLE proposal.pdf
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
xBLE proposal.pdf
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Sounds very interesting! I hadn't heard of BLE before but it looks like a good match for an L1.

How about creating a project page?
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Great application for wear your web apps, and or linking all those tooth devices.
What do you believe the estimated power at full usage and normal usage would be?
Or a comparison to standard Bluetooth. This looks very interesting and look forward
to xBLE.
jhrose

Post by jhrose »

I hadn't heard of BLE before but it looks like a good match for an L1.
BLE is a new capability in Bluetooth version 4.
What do you believe the estimated power at full usage and normal usage would be?
Over-the-air transmitter power is given in the BT4.0 Core Spec, Volume 6 Part A Chapter 3 Table 3.1, between 0.01mW to 10mW dynamic range. A single control channel for all slaves operates independently of data channels per master-slave connection. Data transfer is at 1Mb/sec.

As to estimating board power consumption, xBLE needs a hardware designer to step forward and draft a preliminary circuit design (I'm just a softie). We can share ideas but the best approach would be to review the Bluetooth Core Spec. and the CSR Bluecore7 technical data online.

As to software runtime power needs, BLE HCI is event-driven and a lighter-weight version of Bluetooth BR/EDR, but still not insubstantial. An solution in XC, responding to i/o events for the HCI and application messages from channels, shouldn't be too hard to design; we'd need to think about efficiency.
jhrose

Post by jhrose »

As to estimating board power consumption
Contact CSR support for the BC7820 or BC7830 datasheet at http://www.csr.com/bc7/index.htm. An online summary can be found elsewhere at http://www.spectre-online.co.uk/product ... r_receiver.

Doing the sums and approximating (as a softie who may have missed something blindingly obvious to a designer), the current consumtion for the BC7820 part is: with all devices operating including FM transmitter is about 210mA, and with all devices in shutdown mode is about 177uA.