TraceViewer and XScope source codes

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
octal
XCore Addict

TraceViewer and XScope source codes

Post by octal »

are the TraceViewer and XScope source codes available (somewhere on the website) ?

Regards

xmark
Member++

Post by xmark »

Hi Octal,

We don't have a schedule for open sourcing this tool yet. Could I inquire about what you would like to change or add to the tool? We'd love to get your feedback.

Cheers,

-Mark
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Hey Mark - you don't need a schedule, surely? It's just source code. If it's crap, it's better to have more people fixing it. If it's great you have nothing to worry about. It looks like it must be pretty good, so there can't even be any embarrassment factor.
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hello xmark,
Well, I didn't got time to play with the XSCope right now (will upgrade my dev tools and test it this weekend for sure), but speaking only about the "waves" view there are so many goodies to implement in this little view that can make life easier.
Quickly enumerating:
- possibility to have two or more movable vertical markers,
- possibility to automatically snap the (MULTIPLE) markers to signal transitions to make it easy to calculate pulses widths.
- possibility to have the view automatically show the distance (time or 1/time) between two markers
- possibility to have the view automatically some timings extracted from the pointer curve (width of pulse, period, frequency, duty cycle...)
- possibility to EXPORT a graph to a bitmap (or svg) format, and the possibility to PRINT it ;)
- implement data processors and std bus decoders/Interpreters (UART, SPI, ...) these can be very useful to validate some soft peripherals during program execution. A full data processing plugin interface can even be developed to let "courageous" users develop their own protocols interpreters.

I'm asking for all these possibilities because I worked heavily on a Logic Analyzer and I really miss such possibilites on this extremely useful view.
If the source codes of this eclipse view were available, I think users can contribute to enhance it. If it's impossible (for any reason), maybe reworking it (if needed) and publishing the anchor points of its services can be very useful for users who want to add additional functionnalities to it. Eclipse RPC is all about that, and I think that it makes things easy even if you don't want to publish the sources, you can just rewrite the view to make its services available as anchors and give users the possibility to contribute.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Can XSCope be run on the commandline also?

It would be really useful for testing and assertion.

I concur 100% with Octal's view about open development, github it please.

regards
Al
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Xscope can be used from the command line...

Code: Select all

$ xrun --help
<snip>
--xscope Enable a XSCOPE server with the target
--xscope-file <filename> Specify the filename for XSCOPE data collection
--xscope-limit <limit> Specify the record limit for XSCOPE data collection

</snip>

This generates an XMT file which is just XML. So you can write your own analysis tools! (And open source them if you desire... 8-) )
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

I like where this is going.

I'm just about to send a 3*L1 board to fab, and I want to get a 2w link onto my XSYS_target header before it's too late.

Is there a spec for that extended XSYS connector.

Is the XSYS with 2w on this schematic enough? https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XM-000344-SC-1.pdf

And I'm with Jonathan re: Open Source. Don't be shy! You show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Thanks!

--r
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

The L2 USB Audio and AVB reference designs have an XLink wired up for use with the XTAG-2, not all the development boards do. I would suggest using the schematics for these as reference.

http://www.xmos.com/products/developmen ... sbaudio2mc

http://www.xmos.com/avbl2
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks Paul, thats good news
This generates an XMT file which is just XML. So you can write your own analysis tools! (And open source them if you desire... 8-) )
Is there a schema for XMT and or documentation perchance?

regards
Al
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Thanks,Paul

and thanks XMatt!

Off to the races!

--r
(Edited : adding thanks for XMatt.)