Getting the USB3318 to work with XC-1A

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mkassner

Getting the USB3318 to work with XC-1A

Post by mkassner »

Hi XCore Community,

this is my first post: Hi everybody!
I trying to do what apparently other have already succeeded in and should not be a real problem. None the less I m really suck. :( I hope somebody can help me out.

Im developing a USB PHY add-on board for the XC-1A Development Board. It uses Port A/B of Core 3. I have made two versions, one using the SCMC USB3318, closely following the implementation in the XR-USB-AUDIO-2.0 reference design schematics and one using the USB3330 in a similar fashion. The only modification is the reset pin which I have mapped to PORT 1A.

I m using the latest versions of sc_usb, sc_xud and xcommon.

To get started I tried to use the HID example that comes with sc-usb.
The only changes I have made where:
- changing the .xn file to reflect the hardware
- in Makefile: change target to XC-1A
- in Makefile: uncomment: export XUD_G=1
- in Makefile: set USB core to 3

the application compiles fine and is loaded onto the Board.
but:
- the USB device does not enumerate
- when I debug, I can see that the XUD manager seems to get stuck>

this is the line at which the program stalls:
0x00011c98 <XUD_DeviceAttachHS+148>: in (2r) r0, res[r0] *

this is the stack I copied from the debugger:
stdcore[3] thread 0 (Suspended: Signal 'SIGINT' received. Description: Interrupt.)
5 XUD_DeviceAttachHS() 0x00011c98
4 XUD_Manager() 0x00011350
3 __main_xm_0() /Volumes/BIN/Moritz/MIT/trunk/Software/Firmware/XMOS/sc_usb/app_example_usb_hid/src/main.xc:145 0x000104b2
2 __mcmain000003() 0x00010aaa
1 hasEndStack() 0x00010b8c

other threads (endpoint0) seem to wait for the XUD manager.
As the xud lib comes without source I have no away of knowing what exactly is going on.

I get the same error for both versions of my add-on board. At this point I don't know if it is a hardware problem. I tend to believe that this is not the issue as I have the same error on both boards. But that again I don't even know what the errors is as I have no idea about the XUD internals.

For reference I have attached the schematics to the USB3318 USB PHY add-on board I made. Can somebody find obvious mistakes in this or my code setup?

It seems to me that the XC-1A is a good candidate for a Hi-Speed USB add-on . And I would really like to get this to work and share.

help is greatly appreciated!

best,

Moritz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Moritz,

Did you wire up the port map *exactly* the same as the USB audio board?
What about Reset also?
mkassner

Post by mkassner »

Hi Ross,
yes I did.

I just got it to work though!!

Both versions the usb3330 (needs the reset port to be inverted though) and usb3318 board are working.

I don't know why it is working though. This is what I did:

Rename the xud libs files by appending a letter to the name (before the extension).
If I do that it works, if I remove the letter it stops working again!

I stumbled upon this because I was trying to force a build error just to see if the libs are being used - instead it just started to work!

well, maybe someone can explain to me why this solved my problem. Im using the latest xde, sc_usb, sc_xud and xcommon on MacOs10.7.

moritz
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

in the makefile, do you set MODULE_LIBRARIES from xud_l to xud_g?
mkassner

Post by mkassner »

Hi Ross,

if you mean uncommenting

export XUD_G=1

in the makefile than, yes I did.

moritz
mkassner

Post by mkassner »

Hi all,
I m writing this only because when I was getting into this project I was always curious about the maximum bandwidth that could be achieved using XMOS + Hi-speed USB.

I just did some benchmarking and is seems that using a single endpoint and bulk transfers of 512byte packets I can get ≈40Mbyte/sec which is quite close to the raw 60Mbye/sec bandwidth. As far as I know 40 is close to the practical limit of Hi-Speed USB. And for now twice of what I need for my application :-)

I hope this info is useful for others...

moritz