I2C on Port 32A7 and 32A8

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

I do not believe this restriction was stated. If sharing SDA and SCL on a single port is the only requirement (and a restricted I2C implementation is satisfactory) then the single port module should be fine.

For a full I2C compliant solution you need to use two separate ports (1-bit or otherwise).

Many devices do not support clock-stretching, you may even get around this with increased time-outs etc.

segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Not stated no, but I think it is a reasonable assumption that if he has I2C on
pins 7 and 8 of a 32-bit port, he has other stuff on the other pins on that port :-)
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

To make it 100% clear, yes there are other connections on the 32-bit port. Now Ross makes me think that perhaps this is possible so I'm hoping for some further clarification.

Looking at some of the reference designs I see that the USB Audio shares the 32-bit port with other connections, specifically, 1/2 of the ULPI bus is on the P32A. Since that obviously has to switch between input and output while not impacting the other connections how is that handled?
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Do you mean the L1 USB Audio Reference Design? If so all the signals used on the 32bit port are outputs I'm afraid (CODEC reset, USB phy reset, LEDs etc)
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

Yes, I did mean the L1 USB Audio Reference Design. Looking at the connections I thought at first that the following ULPI data signals were connected to the 32-bit port.

ULPI_DATA0 -- P32A28
ULPI_DATA1 -- P32A29
ULPI_DATA6 -- P32A30
ULPI_DATA7 -- P32A31

But I see now that P8B takes precidence and that is the port the ULPI are "really" connected to.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Oh i see. Yes, "Smaller" ports take presidence.