Windows 8 Compatibility

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
GerhardNorkus

Windows 8 Compatibility

Post by GerhardNorkus »

Hi,

Just got a Windows 8 machine. I know that XDE is not listed as compatible, but I need the speed. I have a question..

The XDE doesn't seem to be allowed to access online items (for example: Create New Project, Show Content from XDE Online" will not populate list box).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gerhard J Norkus

kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Hi Gerhard,

Strange, I just had a quick go on a windows 8 machine, and it seemed ok for me. Do you see any online content at all, i.e. do you see the components listed in the xSOFTip browser view? Also, I think that in the new project wizard, the contents of the list is dependent on the currently chosen target. If you select XC-1A for example, do you still not see an items in the list?

Cheers,
Kris.
GerhardNorkus

Post by GerhardNorkus »

I uninstalled and resinstalled the xTimeComposer software and came up with a bunch of problems...

When it launches, it gives me a problem at startup, which may be the cause of all of this... After installing the package on the Windows 8 Machine, I simply double click on the xTIMEComposer shortcut. As the studio is launching, it displays a message, "XDE was unable to locate the XMOS toolchain libraries". Then, it displays a dialog stating that it has an "Invalid Environment" - the following environment variables are not set: XCC_TARGET_PATH XCC_DEVICE_PATH XMOS_CACHE_PATH XMOS_REPO_PATH XMOS_DOC_PATH.

When the composer finally starts, I press File.. New.. XDE Project.. and the problems begin. Under target hardware, it says No Targets Available...

Hmm.. What did I miss? The software was registered per it's request...
kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Sounds like the environment for some reason is not set up properly before starting the xtimecomposer. Maybe you could try starting it manually:

- open a cmd terminal
- cd to the base directory of the tools installation
- Run the SetEnv.bat
- xtimecomposer_bin\xtimecomposer.exe

Does this now start ok?
GerhardNorkus

Post by GerhardNorkus »

No, it seems the shortcut paths are boogered also... I open up the cmd window, and do the SetEnv and the run of the app, and I get the same errors. I am going to restore the machine to a previous checkpoint and start over...
GerhardNorkus

Post by GerhardNorkus »

I restored my computer to it's original state. I decided to experiment with the 11.11.1 tools, and attached is a photo of the dialog the app is giving me. The xTIMEComposer does something similar... I am certain that the web is accessible since I am typing this very message on the new computer and submitting it to the XCore site over my hotel's internet connection...

I don't know how the environment variables got trashed. It may have been installing the 12.0.0 tools while the 11.11.1 tools were simultaneously on the same machine. I don't know...

Thanks ahead of time for any useful suggestions! Let's simply address the "No connection available" issue...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Hi Gerhard,

Could you submit a support ticket for this issue (http://www.xmos.com/contact/support)?
Also, if you could run the xtimecomposer with logging enabled, and attach the output to the support ticket, then that'll be great. To do this, you'll need to do the following:

- Open a cmd terminal
- cd to the tools installation
- Run the SetEnv.bat
- Run: xtimecomposer_bin\xtimecomposer.exe -consoleLog -debug <full path to properties file>

Where the properties file is the one attached. Once the xtimecomposer is open, just open the new project wizard, create an XC-1A based project, then close the tool. Hopefully the log might point us in the right direction.

Cheers,
Kris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.