XBURN question

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Redeye
XCore Addict

XBURN question

Post by Redeye »

Excuse the slightly dumb question but if I burn a MAC address into a device using :

xburn -mac-address mac

can I put a serial number/code etc in at a later date by using xburn again, or does everything I want to do need to be done in a single xburn command?

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

The general advice is is to write everything you need to program in a single xburn command.

You may find that on the bench you can get away with programming individual locations at different times, especially if small writes. This is due to the redundancy mechanisms included which are included to improve yield. It is certainly not something you should ever do in a production environment.

The actual programming mechanism and format is more complex than a bitmap of fuses to be blown (it includes headers etc.). Ultimately, the storage mechanism is a fuse (which cannot be unblown), so to be safe, writing your image to OTP in one hit is the recommended usage.
Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

In searching for an answer to this question I did find a thread which referred to an xburn bug which stopped you locking the device at the same time as doing other things. Is this fixed now?
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Yes - that bug was fixed in 12.1 so the latest tools version (12.2) doesn't exhibit that problem :)