Beta home page

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

Beta home page

Post by phalt »

We will be updating the home page soon so it's more concise and fits better with everyone's browsing habits.

For now we've put up a beta preview at www.xcore.com/beta if you want to try it out, discover some bugs or styling issues that we've missed.

Some not so obvious features include some responsive design so mobile browsers should get a much better experience.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

It looks good to me, but the title texts seam to be a tad big to me.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

I much prefer the new home page. My only comment is as relevant to the current page as the new, though I am sure this problem has been improved since the last time I checked:

If your browser is sized very narrow (hence unlikely for any case other than testing) then the section buttons as the top (Projects/Forum/Tutorials/etc) collapse. This can mean that the 'Sign In' button is hidden. In fact, it becomes even more 'confusing' if you're in the 'Forum' view as with the browser so narrow there is a horizontal scroll bar but moving across with this does not help to locate the 'Sign In' button.

When the latest set of changes were made it was much worse (my usual browser width was not wide enough to display the 'Sign In' button but sometime between then and now it appears to have been improved (I have no idea when as I have not been checking).
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

DanB wrote:I much prefer the new home page. My only comment is as relevant to the current page as the new, though I am sure this problem has been improved since the last time I checked:

If your browser is sized very narrow (hence unlikely for any case other than testing) then the section buttons as the top (Projects/Forum/Tutorials/etc) collapse. This can mean that the 'Sign In' button is hidden. In fact, it becomes even more 'confusing' if you're in the 'Forum' view as with the browser so narrow there is a horizontal scroll bar but moving across with this does not help to locate the 'Sign In' button.

When the latest set of changes were made it was much worse (my usual browser width was not wide enough to display the 'Sign In' button but sometime between then and now it appears to have been improved (I have no idea when as I have not been checking).
I see what you mean. That is an extremely small width for it to start becoming a problem and I never reduced the screen to that width before. I've based it on a minimum width of 480 pixels which should cover 80% of mobile browsers (and from the analytics most of our mobile visitors are on iPhone which are covered by this width). Under 900 pixels the page becomes "fluid" with percentage widths instead of fixed sizes.

Glad the overall comments are positive!
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

I've noticed that the 'old' behaviour I explained has returned where 'Sign In'/'Sign Out' is missing at more realistic dimensions:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/xcorem.jpg/

Note how the 'YouTube' button is only half displayed.

This is with a width of ~960px.

I am not exactly sure how to repeat this but it certainly seems 'stuck' in this state again now. Odd!
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Firefox? Try ctrl + f5 and see if that clears the cache of the stylesheet for the new one?
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Oh wait, the beta page is responsive for mobile design but not the rest of the site yet, that is why you're getting the issue :)
Gravis
Experienced Member

Post by Gravis »

It appears i'm getting the mobile version of the site as most everything is vertically inlined. I don't know if you are showing the main page on an inclusive list but I'm using Chromium.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Gravis wrote:It appears i'm getting the mobile version of the site as most everything is vertically inlined. I don't know if you are showing the main page on an inclusive list but I'm using Chromium.
Okay cool. That's probably a benefit as without that the search and sign in box do not fit properly on mobile :)
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

nice work phalt, just about "Code" is it github or some thing else (like github, than code)