Best way to hand-solder a XS-1 48?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
yzoer
XCore Addict

Best way to hand-solder a XS-1 48?

Post by yzoer »

Apologies if this has been discussed ad infinitum but I'm particularly interested in the 'EDAM' approach. While the regular parts can be done with a fine soldering iron and a steady hand, the ground-pad is still something that puzzles me.

So far I've seen the 'hole-in-the-center' approach which seems somewhat funky while the EDAM board mentions a hot-air soldering setup. Which one's the easiest / best?

-Yvo

P.S. Also, can anyone recommend a good HAS setup? US preferred :-)

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've used a hole in the pad with QFN chips. It works very well and is fine for a prototype.
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

So basically ground-pad on top with one (or more?) via's to the bottom's ground layer? What size of hole are you using?
mkassner

Post by mkassner »

Hi,

I also like hot-air. It works quite well. Just tinning the pads and using no-clean flux. Its enough for most purposes. If you have solder paste - even better.

Via under the chip works well too. The hole does not need to be big.

Instructables and sparkfun have tutorials on reflow soldering using a toaster-oven or skillet. My experience is that the toaster oven works well only if it has a convection van.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I use a large hole, 2 mm or so. It makes it easier to feed solder into it.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

I used the hole in the center approach too on other chips and its quite simple and reliable.

But if you often work with SMD chips i highly recommend getting a hot air soldering station. I brought a cheep Atten 858D and i love it. You can get them brand new from ebay for about 60 USD. Even if you are not going to use it often its still worth it. This thing is just magic for desoldering stuff off boards and it allows you to solder even QFNs without problems. It also sure beats a cigarette lighter for shrinking those heatshrink tubes
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

mkassner wrote:I also like hot-air. It works quite well. Just tinning the pads and using no-clean flux. Its enough for most purposes. If you have solder paste - even better.
How well does that work with hot-air btw? What's the best way to determine whether or not your ground pad has bonded with the chip? Speaking of hot-air soldering stations, anyone have any recommendations? I'm contemplating getting the Aoyue 852a++ or 960 (smaller footprint)...

-Yvo
mkassner

Post by mkassner »

Hi yzoer,

Checking connectivity , is tricky...I don't have a good answer. My experience is that it has always bonded. You can also tin the center pad first. Heat it up, see if it sticks and then solder the legs.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Hi Yvo

I've got the Aoyue 852a and I'm happy with how it performs.

I usually tack the corner pins of the IC packages first using a pencil soldering iron, then reflow using the Aoyue.