Suggestion: Adding eeprom to XMOS devices?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
yzoer
XCore Addict

Suggestion: Adding eeprom to XMOS devices?

Post by yzoer »

Are there any plans to add (even a small amount) of EEPROM to future XMOS devices? Wouldn't have to be much but it'd be nice to have...

Just a thought..

-Yvo

porsche

Post by porsche »

I agree this idea.
configurable (dual-port ) ram block, digital io routing, ... are also integrating into XMOS.
Maybe the size of SRAM and embedded flash becomes 128KByte or 256KByte.[/u][/u]
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

I dont see the utility of adding flash. You are already booting from external flash, you can use the external flash also to store your config data if needed (just be careful to not overwrite your code).
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

octal wrote:I dont see the utility of adding flash. You are already booting from external flash, you can use the external flash also to store your config data if needed (just be careful to not overwrite your code).
You don't need an external flash if it's embedded. It also saves on the BOM and PCB real-estate.
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

I understand that Bianco, this was not my tought. What I meant is that the external EEprom is not a big issue (SOIC or SSOP chips are really cheap and very small). What I would prefer to have in order to save BOM and simplify usage is an effort to integrate all power management (the reg and the switch) inside the XMOS chips (like it's done on a lot of dual power ARM chips). This can be the best thing to simplify XMOS chips usage I think. (and I know it's an extremely difficult thing to do).
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

I'm with Bianco. All I want to do is reduce my BOM. Compared to something like an AVR or PIC ( not a fair comparison, I know) all you need is a power-supply and you're good to go.

It's much nicer / cleaner to have fewer components. It's one of the reasons I came back to XMOS. Rather than having a CPLD / FPGA with configuration memory, external RAM and what not, the XS1-48 has most if not all of what I need (except EEPROM :-) )

-Yvo
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

octal wrote:I understand that Bianco, this was not my tought. What I meant is that the external EEprom is not a big issue (SOIC or SSOP chips are really cheap and very small). What I would prefer to have in order to save BOM and simplify usage is an effort to integrate all power management (the reg and the switch) inside the XMOS chips (like it's done on a lot of dual power ARM chips). This can be the best thing to simplify XMOS chips usage I think. (and I know it's an extremely difficult thing to do).
Have you took a look at the SU1 chips? They have embedded regulators for 1V0 and 1V8 (The latter for the new analog parts), only requiring a cap and an inductor for each regulator. Con is that it is in a BGA package.